General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord Igniter affected by heat?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 04:23 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 Accord Igniter affected by heat?

Hi Everyone,
I am new to this forum, although I have visited this site several times to see how other Honda owners a managing.

I've owned this Accord for 20 years. While the car lived in Canada for 13 years, I only change the igniter once. Since, I relocated to Houston Texas the igniter has been changed 5 times in nine years +/-.

Always the same symptoms here in Texas...after approximately 12 to 14 months the wife gets a no start when the car is hot (and man it is hot here in the summer). In the early stages she waits a few minute and engine starts. If I do not replace the igniter for a while the car needs to cool completely before it starts. This cooling period in the summer here in Texas could be as long as 4 to 5 hours.

Yesterday I replaced the igniter using my O’Riellys replacement warranty. The usual replacement brand of igniter was Borg Warner. The new O’Riellys replacement now is Import Direct. There was no improvement to our problem this time with the new igniter replacement…

Could the aftermarket replacements be inferior? Has anyone experience heat affecting these modules?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM
Super Moderator

So when you turn the key to start the car, the starter spins the engine?

Check for engine codes. Go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum and click on the link for checking engine codes.

Do you have a timing light? You can use this as a quick way to test for spark.

When were the maintenance items changed, like the spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor? What brands did you use?

Old 06-17-2012, 06:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I only and aways use OEM except for the igniter replacements. The engine turns over with no fire...aways the same symtoms...

The car was fully tuned up aproximately 50k miles ago and I do the work myself.

It's very strange that this car's igniter acts up in the summer period here in Texas. The symtoms are gradual from just a few minutes of waiting to then a few hours, then the car starts. Never has it failed while driving like most of the examples listed in this site.

Possibly this time I got a bad igniter? Well it is time for a tune up, I just ordered all the neccessary items cap, rotor, plugs, wires.

The brands of igniters and price ranges are crazy...do you have experience with a bad brand or better quality component? Are we faced with the made in China components that are not quite to spec?

Thank you for the reply.
Tim

Originally Posted by PAhonda
So when you turn the key to start the car, the starter spins the engine?

Check for engine codes. Go to the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum and click on the link for checking engine codes.

Do you have a timing light? You can use this as a quick way to test for spark.

When were the maintenance items changed, like the spark plugs, distributor cap, and distributor rotor? What brands did you use?

Last edited by 1992ACCEX Tim; 06-17-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 06:37 PM
Super Moderator

If you used the OEM spark plugs, they are due every 24K miles. They are the NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs that you can get at most auto parts stores. These are the V-Power NGK spark plugs. You are way past due for spark plugs.

Ignitors do fail, but it is sort of rare. I would probably go to a U-Pull-It type junkyard and find an OEM one. I think the 90, 92, and 93 accord use the same ignitor (the 91 uses a different one for some odd reason?). Ebay is another source for parts.

There is an important ground on the thermostat housing. I would unbolt that ground and clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or some sandpaper then bolt it back on.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The thermostat housing, this would be the engine main thermostat located on passager side (near fire wall) where the lower rad hose connects?

So, the frequent igniter changes in your opinion are or should not be affected by the heat?

Thanks,
Tim

Originally Posted by PAhonda
If you used the OEM spark plugs, they are due every 24K miles. They are the NGK ZFR5F-11 plugs that you can get at most auto parts stores. These are the V-Power NGK spark plugs. You are way past due for spark plugs.

Ignitors do fail, but it is sort of rare. I would probably go to a U-Pull-It type junkyard and find an OEM one. I think the 90, 92, and 93 accord use the same ignitor (the 91 uses a different one for some odd reason?). Ebay is another source for parts.

There is an important ground on the thermostat housing. I would unbolt that ground and clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or some sandpaper then bolt it back on.

Old 06-17-2012, 07:47 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I had what I thought was an ignitor failure on 1990 Ex and replaced the ignitor w/ an aftermarket ignitor. OK for some time, and had another no-start. I found the coil slightly out of spec and replaced the coil. Shortly, I felt a miss or two w/ the new coil and decided to re-install my old ignitor. Problem solved.

I concluded several things. OEM ignitor is likely better quality and weak coil, spark plug wires, or plugs may cause coil or ignitor failure.

Another point is the ignitor must be installed w/a good layer of thermal grease to help conduct heat away from ignitor module.

good luck

Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Here is one other easy test you can try.

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds. It makes a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully. It may help to have someone turn the key and you listen where you fill up the gas tank with the cap removed.

I think the thermostat is on the upper radiator hose on your accord, but I might be wrong. The ground is located in the general area below the distributor.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator

The thermostat housing is on the engine block connected by the lower radiator hose. Ground G101 (ECU ground) should be located on the thermostat housing.

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord Igniter affected by heat?-g101-ground-location.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 06-17-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:15 PM
Newest Of Newbies

All, thank you for the good advise. I will wait for the tune up parts to arrive and check the symtoms. Very nice pic for the ground location, where do you find this information?

The wife said to mention, the car seems to have this problem when left out in the sun during summer...now, do they sell sun block for cars HAHAAAA!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:08 AM
Super Moderator

in the igniter is in fact failing, i would start looking for the cause of the failure...first place to look in addition to grounding issues would be high resistance in secondary ignition system...jusy my .02

Quick Reply: 92 Accord Igniter affected by heat?