General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 Accord LX Steering Reservoir flood- Help

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 09:14 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 Accord LX Steering Reservoir flood- Help

Howdy Folks,
230K It all started after changing the left front axle! I don't know if its related or no
I start noticing high amount of oil leak under the car, at first i thought i must parked when someone else car leaked! but the shock was when i parked it in my drive way. it was my car that is leaking

I start hearing whinning when i steer the car and i noticed that the steering reservoir on time will be at or below the Normal level! i top 'd once. and some time it a lot higher than the normal level.

two days ago i open the hood to check on it and the reservoir cap was all the way out and hidden underneth the resevior it self, which mean there is enough pressure to popthe reservoir cap ??!!!!

what could cause it to flood like this, i hope you can see it in the pics i will attach.

Now i don't know much about cars, but i am handy and can figure it out, and hopeing with your help folks i will be able to fix my honey. i am welling to learn so i can take car of my baby.

Thank you in advance

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord LX Steering Reservoir flood- Help-img060.jpg   92 Accord LX Steering Reservoir flood- Help-img061.jpg   92 Accord LX Steering Reservoir flood- Help-img062.jpg  
Old 12-31-2011, 10:58 AM
Administrator

I believe that with that cap off, it would sling the fluid out while you were running it..

Old 12-31-2011, 11:03 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
I believe that with that cap off, it would sling the fluid out while you were running it..
Thank you for your prompt reply, i don't think its the cap, the cap incidence was just recent "2 days ago". but the p/s fluid is leaking for almost a month now.

again the cap is just to add to it , i check the under the hood almost everytime i ride my baby

Old 12-31-2011, 11:17 AM
Super Moderator

I hope you are using Honda/Acura PS fluid.

One could be related to the other.

First, do you have a leak in the PS system. If so air can get into the system which would cause bubbles, sometimes foaming in the res.....Start the car, check the fluid in the res for bubbles, starting to foam. Might have to turn the wheels side to side as well.......

Old 12-31-2011, 11:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

i bought it from Kragen and the guy told me its made for honda?! and i asked him are you sure and he said yes thats why i asked you which car, because honda have special ps fulid.

when i look inside the reservoir i see tinny bubbles forming? is this what you are looking for?

Old 12-31-2011, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

...sorry, should have put that differently....the bottle should be clearly labeled that it is for use in Honda/Acura cars and that is all it will work in as I don't know of any other make using the same formula.

Now, what is leaking from the car? PS fluid or something else.

If it is PS fluid, is it from the fluid coming out of the res or it coming from somewhere else.....you might have to do a little cleaning to be able to find what and where.

Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 PM

When the engine is running, you should see fluid swirling around in the reservoir but there shouldn't be any air bubbles forming. If there is and your P.S. pump is making a buzzing noise, which gets louder as you turn the wheel then air is entering through the inlet of the pump. Possible remedies include replacing the O-ring at the inlet tube and/or replacing the rubber hose between the reservoir and the P.S. pump; both are fairly inexpensive solutions.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:06 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Another common failure is the pump shaft seal, especially after the PS pump belt is adjusted tighter, causing the pump to cavitate and the entrained air to push fluid out of the reservoir. Junk yard pumps are cheap and it's a ten minute job to replace it.

Old 01-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
...sorry, should have put that differently....the bottle should be clearly labeled that it is for use in Honda/Acura cars and that is all it will work in as I don't know of any other make using the same formula.
This is what i am using to top off ps fluid. <see picture>

Originally Posted by poorman212
Now, what is leaking from the car? PS fluid or something else.
PS fluid.

[/quote]If it is PS fluid, is it from the fluid coming out of the res or it coming from somewhere else.....you might have to do a little cleaning to be able to find what and where.[/quote]
I always thought it is coming out from a crack in the hose for being so old. but yesterday i did the check that someone here ref to, what i did is i took the reservoir cap off and started the car and turned the wheel all the way to the right... all the way to the left and when i reached the max point in the left position , i was looking at the ps reservior and i saw the fluid foaming and actually and sprung out. so i cleaned it and tried to duplicat it again but nothing happen <check attachment>

thank you in advance and Happy new year to everyone

Attached Thumbnails 92 Accord LX Steering Reservoir flood- Help-img081.jpg   92 Accord LX Steering Reservoir flood- Help-img064.jpg  
Old 01-01-2012, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Like others stated, you have a leak in a hose or something and air is getting into the system. Try drying things up and looking for the area of the leak.

Quick Reply: 92 Accord LX Steering Reservoir flood- Help