General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 accord transmission symptom PROBLEM

Old 02-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Default accord tcm/ecm problem

I have pulled the fuse and that resets everything. It has worked perfect for 2 months. Now four days ago it has gone back to same problem and I pull the fuse it resets and is fine for a day or two and then back to only 2nd and 3rd gear. I pull the fuse for 5 minutes and it is ok for a day or two. Next step ECU, TCU TCM ECM? ( are they the same ) A little confused on what to do now that I can solve the problem for a day or two, but maybe it is wiring or bad capacitor in one of those boards. Which first? Does it matter which year or are they all compatible for honda accords? Thank you!!!!1

Old 02-20-2015, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Possibly the Transmission Control Module (TCM). TCU and TCM are referred to as the same module.

Take it out and open it up to see if there are any obvious damaged components.

Old 02-22-2015, 04:45 PM

Great! thank you. I will attempt to take out the TCM. Thanks!

Old 02-22-2015, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

ECU and ECM are the same and control the engine. TCU and TCM are the same and control the transmission. Your car has one of each.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:10 PM
Default Honda accord tcm replaced

Yes I have replaced the tcm. My old tcm did have a couple of burnt resistors. The only problem now is that I only have 2nd gear. I can drive it manually and have 1st and second only. I have tried the fuse reset for the ecm as worked before temporarily. Now it does not reset it at all as it stays in 2nd gear. As a side note, prior to replacing the pcm and when I reset the ECM it ran well sporadically. I could make it go back to 2nd gear only mode when under stress as climbing a steep hill would take it from going through gears fine to 2nd gear only. Have not tried it since tcm replacement as I only have 2nd gear. Any ideas for next move? Thanks

Old 03-05-2015, 03:31 PM
Newest Of Newbies

they make 7 different TCM's for that vehicle, make sure you bought the proper one.

Old 03-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Coupe/sedan DX/LX are interchangable, Coupe/sedan ex are interchangable, and the station wagon EX/LX both have their own tcm. i was mistaken in my last post, they make 4 different ones

Old 03-05-2015, 05:22 PM
Default Honda accord tcm replaced

Yes it is the same model of tcm. It is a re manufactured. Also if it helps I did jump the blue connector.The D4 stays lit as well as the CEL but no flashes or codes. Both stay lit. In regular driving the D4 light never goes out now regardless of gear. Stays lit from starting and if I do it manually the D1 and D4 will be lit, D2 and D4 will be lit and so on. Not sure if that helps?

Old 03-05-2015, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Have you tried putting back the old TCM to see if there is a difference in performance compared to the replacement? If not, tried that first.

Old 03-06-2015, 06:50 PM

Thanks Red bull! I replaced the re manufactured TCM I just put in with my old one. Now it is as before. Currently driving ok, but sure if will fault as 2 of the resistors looked blown in the TCM. Also, on the new- remanufactured TCM the capacitor in that area looked like it leaked and is bad, as brown around the bottom of board around the capacitor. Is it most likely I received a bad TCM or did my car fry it? Should I order another TCM? or? Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 accord transmission symptom PROBLEM