General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Accord Valve Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 11:27 PM
Default 92 Accord Valve Adjustment

Hi there,

Today I adjusted the valve clearance in my 92accord, as it was becoming a bit loud when it was idling. I adjusted it so that the intake valve clearances are 0.26mm and exhaust valve clearances are 0.32mm. After putting the car back together. I started the engine to find it was idling at about 2500rpm, was shuddering extremely badly, running so rich that fuel was spitting out the exhaust and sounded like it was only running on about two cylinders or mabey one. The car had none of these symptoms before the valves where adjusted apart from being noisy, all i did was adjust the valves to the correct clearance following the method in the car manual i was given for the procedure. I am wanting to know what might cause these symptoms to develop and how do i fix it?

Old 06-23-2012, 05:17 AM

Hey Rice my name is Ernie i just finished writing you a whole page or the procedure on valve adjusting then i hit a wrong key an exited the page!im sorry partner but im not going to write that all over again so i will send you a privet message with my number just feel free to call me ill be happy to walk you thru it

Old 06-23-2012, 10:25 AM

You probably didnt connect a sensor when you reassembled everything. Check for unconnected jacks near the throttle body. I suspect you left the IAT loose?

Old 06-23-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Also, make sure that you got the spark plug wires installed in the correct order from the distributor. The firing order is 1-3-4-2.

Old 06-23-2012, 12:59 PM

Ok Rice im going to go over the procedure with you cause something tells me your missing to do something.
#1 cylinder at TDC compression stroke,once you have #1 cylinder at TDC check and make sure all other timing mark are aligned,(distributor rotor at #1,cam pulley with the arrow pointing straight up and the timing marks on the block an flywheel line up)
start with the #1 intake valve use the 0.010-inch gauge,gauge both rocker arms on the #1 intake valve once you have gauged the #1 intake then gauge #1 exhaust valve with the 0.012-inch gauge do both rocker arms.
Now that you gauged the #1 valve intake an exhaust you must rotate the crankshaft pulley 180 degrees "Counterclockwise" then check the #3 cylinder it should be at TDC,gauge #3 intake valve with the 0.010-inch gauge do both rocker arms then move to the #3 valve exhaust side gauge both rocker arms with the 0.012-inch gauge.now that you gauged the #3 valves rotate crankshaft pulley 180 degrees "Counterclockwise" now the #4 cylinder should be at TDC?
And do the same procedure to the #4 valve intake an exhaust that you did to the #1 and #3 valves now remember the 0.010-inch gauge is to gauge the intake only an the 0.012-inch is for the exhaust,and before moving to the next valve you must rotate crankshaft pulley 180 degrees "Counterclockwise"
Remember Rice if you have any questions hit me up partner if you follow this procedure you should be good!?

Old 06-23-2012, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

When a cylinder is at TDC firing position, the cam lobes will be pointing to the 4'O'clock and 7 'O'clock positions.

Old 06-23-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, i have been through three times and checked it all and as far as i can see the valves are fine. There is nothing wrong with the engine as its has about 90,000kpa compression on each cylinder so that tells me nothing is broken such as valves and pistons etc. It does however still idle very high and seems to be missing on one cylinder. The fuel air mix has sorted itself out and is running normal but just idling at about 3000Rpm. I am suspecting that i need to adjust something on the carb but none of the adjustments are even sitting on the screws so the adjusting screws do nothing. I am wondering how i am meant to fix it from idling so high now?

Old 06-24-2012, 02:16 AM

it culd be the IAC valve?or the fast idle thermo valve? question does the engine still idle high after warm up?if you have ?'s hit me up an ill walk you through them step by step,its easier for me to talk than to type,you should see how long it took me to type this message!l lol

Old 06-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Super Moderator

OP- Double check the work.....pay close attention to the PCV and hose to it. Also, is this a carb or FI. I see you are in New Zeland and their this gen I believe could have been either.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:31 PM

It is carb. The PCV hose appears to be fine. I don't know where the PCV is, and i have no idea how to test if it is functioning correctly or not.

Quick Reply: 92 Accord Valve Adjustment