General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 dx stalls while driving...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 92 dx stalls while driving...

Hello, I'm new here and this is my first post. Been searching around the internet for a good place for info for my car and... lo and behold... an accord forum. Anyways, I bought this car about a year ago and it has run great only has a few minor things about it that haven't been an issue - slight power steering fluid leak and a slight coolant leak out the radiator I believe (when the heat is running?)...hasn't been enough to worry about I figure seeing as how its almost 20 years old with 150k miles.

In the last week however, the engine has started to stall on me while driving. There doesn't seem to be any warning...the engine just shuts off. The yellow engine indicator light and also the oil light come on until I turn the key off. The radio and light stay on, but the power steering goes out during this. I drift to a stop on the side of the road. I wait a minute or so and the car starts right up again and I drive away. Yellow engine light or the oil light are no longer on.

First time this happened I drove away no problem. I drove the car fine for a week...no problems. Just last night it stalls on me again and after driving away it stalls again two minutes later. It did this once more before it finally got me all the way home again.

It seems to start up again no problem and the engine doesn't sound funny at all when it runs.

Any advice as to what the problem could be or where to begin?

Thanks.

Old 11-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

When the car stalls out, does the check engine light stay turned on? Also, can you get the car to stall out by shaking the key while it is running?

For the two leaks, you will have to find the source of each. I would be more concerned about the coolant leak, because if it gets worse, the engine could overheat and cause more problems. You should probably get the radiator pressure tested.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I tried shaking the key while the car was running and I could not get it to stall. If I recall correctly I believe when the car stalled the yellow engine and the red battery and oil lights were on until I came to a stop and turned the key to the off position. When I restarted it the lights were off again... I'll have to try driving it around the near neighborhood again when it's light out and see if I can get it to stall again and study what happens a little closer to be sure...

Old 11-22-2010, 03:51 AM
Super Moderator

If the check engine light stayed on for more than the normal 2 seconds, then your engine computer detected a problem and still has the code stored. Do the procedure on how to check CEL codes in the DIY section. Post the code(s) that you find.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:17 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, I tried what you said. I'm not sure if there is a default one long blink from the turning of the key normally or not, but I got 1 long blink and 5 short ones, so i guess that would make it code 15.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ok, so I'm second guessing myself. When I check for the error code...I turn the key and the dash lights go on including the yellow check engine light. They go off, there is a soft click, then the yellow check light flashes five times quickly, then there is another click and then it's done. By the sound of the click...I'm thinking maybe there is the default 2 second dash lights with the key turning and the sound of the click signifies the beginning of the error code? Which would make it a 5 and not a 15.

Old 11-24-2010, 10:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

acts like a bad igniter..........

Old 12-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Haven't driven the car for a bit until the last couple of days. When it stalls sometimes the red oil and battery light come on until I turn the key off and sometimes those two lights come on along with the yellow check engine light and they stay on until the key is turned off. The heat or defrost has been on when it stalls. I'm not sure if this has something to do with it or if it is just coincidence. The car is getting a little tougher to start now, but that may just be the cold weather.

Old 12-19-2010, 02:33 PM
Super Moderator

Code 15 is for a bad ignitor or the wiring. Check the wiring in the distributor cap just to be sure there are no damaged wires or shoddy repairs.

If you have an O'Reillys near you, they can test your ignitor if you remove it and take it in.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the advice. The problem was the wiring... Needed a new distributor...wires were melted inside.

Quick Reply: 92 dx stalls while driving...