General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

92 EX won't start

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 04:11 PM
Lil_Stu07
Unregistered
Default 92 EX won't start

Hey everybody.

I have a '92 Honda Accord EX, and I came out to my car from work a few weeks ago, and my car wouldn't start. It would turn and turn, but wouldn't start. I got a jump, and that didn't help. Got my battery checked at Wal-Mart, and they said it was fine. My mother pulled my car home with her truck and along the way, I lost all power (lights, dash, locks, etc.). I went and got the Haynes Manual #42012. Thinkin it was a problem with my alternator, I replaced it to no avail. My friends checked to see if they could hear my fuel pump when I turned the key to II, and they did. Then they checked to see if I was getting spark, and I wasn't. SO, I went and got new plug wires. Well, once I took the wires out a couple of the boots were covered in valve oil. So, I had to replace my valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires. I also went ahead and replaced the distr. cap, rotor ignition, and the ignition coil. My car still won't run. The only thing I can think of now is either the actual distributor or the igniter. Please HELP![/align]

Old 12-20-2007, 04:23 PM
Default RE: 92 EX won't start

what kind of spark plugs did you have in there?

Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 PM

I should mention the reason I asked that.... if you had Bosch plugs in there I'd start by testing the coil and I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if that was your issue. They're notorious for doing that to Honda's and I've seen it happen personally on a 92. Coil is inside the Distributor and there should be troubleshooting/testing steps in your manual. If I'm right about this then switch to NGK ASAP...

Old 12-20-2007, 04:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Yeah was gunna ask if you checked the plugs, sounds like no spark but the starter is trying to crank the engine.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:28 PM
Lil_Stu07
Unregistered

I have NGK V-Power Resistor Type Plugs

The old Plugs were NGK as well.

I'm not sure if any of the previous owners did any maintenenance, cuz a lot of the components look old.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Lil_Stu07
Unregistered

Yeah, when I get a jump it cranks, but slowly. I'm thinking it's the distributor, ICM/igniter, or the main relay, but doubt its the relay.

Any insight is greatly appreciated.

Old 12-20-2007, 04:52 PM

If your fuel pump is kicking on I doubt it's the main relay, plus you said you're getting fuel so it shouldn't be that... If you don't have spark I'm leaning towards the coil.... just my personal opinion though...

Old 12-20-2007, 04:57 PM
Lil_Stu07
Unregistered

Alright, thanx. I think I'm just gonna replace the whole ICM. The coil is inside there right? That's the only thing that really makes since to why it's not sparking.

Old 12-20-2007, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

When you turn the key to the II position, do you have battery voltage on the black/yellow wire going to the distributor? If you don't the ignition switch is likely the source of the spark problem.

Old 12-20-2007, 09:02 PM

you said you lost all power in the car when it was being towed? what happened with that? how did you get power again?

Quick Reply: 92 EX won't start