General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 honda accord lx

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 02:28 AM
Exclamation 92 honda accord lx

My parents have a 92 honda accord that is having an issue i would like to hopefully fix for them...when it is warm outside the car starts right up instantly..when the car itself is warm it starts no problem...the issue is when its raining outside or more importantly when its cold outside...it will turn over and stumble and cut off, it does this about 7 to 8 times..you turn the key it will kinda start stumble and die..after a couple times it will start and stay running...sumtimes you have to hold the gas down a bit keep it revd for a minute then it will stay started..it is an automatic ..2.2 liter engine...is there a sensor gone bad?? maybe moisture getting into something?? my parents are getting older and i dont want them outside keeping on trying to start their car..i want it to start everytime for them as anyone would want....the car has about 132,000 miles on it....it has been well kept but having this issue...i would appreciate anyones wisdom on this that may have run into this problem already...as times are hard for us all saving money through someones wisdom and guidance is best for us all.....thanks and take care.....you can email me at lookinatyou83 at yahoo .c.om

Old 01-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

I moved this to a new post, just so we can address better??? I hope.

A few things come to mind, testing will be the key. Are you "around" to be able to help?

Are there any stored codes? You can get these with a paperclip, see the Common DIY Threads sticky at the top of this section for a how to get and how to read.

Water/moisture could be getting under the dist cap....there is an o-ring under it to prevent this?

Main relay. When the condidtions are correct for this issue. Ask them to get into a habbit of turning the key to "on"/pos II and watch the CEL to come on for ~3 seconds and then go off....please don't take this wrong, I'd ask them to also listen for the fuel pump to prime at the same time but it is very hard to hear (my mother/father in-law would never be able to hear it )......before trying to start the car.

Last, ICM's will "fail" in cold condidtions but be fine when warm....I don't understand all the science, its just my job five days a week.

Sorry I don't have the "silver bullet" for this one.

Old 01-03-2012, 11:35 PM

i have a clue on what might be the problem...its just how im gonna find a dealer part in tha junkyard for something thats common on happening to all hondas of this model and year...i checked several junk yards and the sensors are gone//////////////////

Old 01-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Administrator

Off to Auto Zone for that part..or Advance if you have one around...

Old 01-06-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Stumbling when damp might be distributor cap or plug wires. Try with the engine completely cold, and in complete darkness (4am??).

Open the hood, turn off all the lights. Start the car & look for arcing. Faulty plug wires or distributor cap can glow or even spark. That tends to quit once you nurse it to running & the heat dries it out.

Once you get surface-tracking of the spark, that damages the surface of those parts. Cleaning usually doesn't help, so get new stuff. But cleaning can help prevent it from beginning.