General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 LX getting a little hot. Can I use 100% pure Coolant?

Old 06-19-2006, 12:53 AM
Default 92 LX getting a little hot. Can I use 100% pure Coolant?

It's summer time & noticed my car getting a little hotter then normal. I was on the freeway doing about 80mph & approx 90+degrees outside with AC on, My car started to rise to 80% of the red line on the temp gage. It's normally in the 50-60% range. I got off the freeway & turned off the the AC. When driving in the city it dropped down to the normal levels. I checked fluid,radiator & fans we're all good.
Reserve tank was a little low. Was planning on doing a coolant flush with Peak or Prestone (Concentrate) & had the question;

Can i use 100% concentrated coolant? without diluting with water?
Has any one ever try this?

Thanks,
Jr

Old 06-19-2006, 03:41 AM
Administrator
Default RE: 92 LX getting a little hot. Can I use 100% pure Coolant?

No...
You need to do a 50/50 mix on coolant...

Old 06-19-2006, 09:59 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

might want to consider flushing your cooling system. NEVER under any circumstances use straight coolant in your car. You can buy coolant that is already premixed and use that but do not put in straight glycol. Your car will overheat sooner.

You may want to replace your thermostat with a HONDA one becuase if your cooling system is not clogged then this is the most likely culprit for engine running hot.

Old 06-19-2006, 10:25 AM

I had a similar problem with my car did alot of research into the possible causes And finally decided to take it into the dealer. Turns out it was the t-stat it would stick partially open. If you find you don't have any blockage in your rad and your fans are working I'd go with the t-stat. definatley honda though. I've read about a lot of people using aftermarket and still having the same problem (or worse) then changing to the Honda part and it working fine... Might cost abit more but t-stat is definatley something you what to be a genuine honda part...

Old 06-19-2006, 12:04 PM
Super Moderator

You could try a chemical cleaner like SuperFlush or something like that. Read the directions & make sure it's all completely flushed out afterwards. If your thermostat is OK, then it sounds like it could be your radiator has crud inside.

For purely heat transfer purposes, 100% water would be the best. But don't do that, because you need the anti-corrosion stuff that's in the anti-freeze.

Old 06-19-2006, 03:18 PM

Thanks guys,

I will use the 50/50 coolant.
What are the signs/symptoms that the T-stat is the cause of the overheating?
It runs at normal temps when it's not very hot out & when im not long driving with the ac on.
How much usually are the orignal dealer t-stats?
Is it easy to replace?

Old 06-19-2006, 03:56 PM

what you described are the sysmptoms

runs hot with load on engine

Old 06-20-2006, 03:25 AM

ORIGINAL: jrcastro

Thanks guys,

It runs at normal temps when it's not very hot out & when im not long driving with the ac on.
Is it easy to replace?

Those are exactly the same symptoms I had before I changed the T-stat. The dealer part for my car was $80.00 CDN I drive a 95 V6 I don't know if that would make too much of a difference. But I would think the T-stat for your car would be alot less especially if you live state side. I didn't do mine it was kind of hard to get at the I4 look a lot easier the 5th gens anyway. Good luck

Old 06-20-2006, 04:01 AM

ORIGINAL: jrcastro

Thanks guys,

Is it easy to replace?

Jr .. go to the DIY section,, there is a write up on t-stat and how to replace it

Old 06-21-2006, 09:51 PM

Lower coolant temp at a lower load would indicate a thermostat that doesn't open all the way or you have a very dirty cooling system. I have always used the brand of thermostat that has the largest opening. And that has usually been the Stant brand. Stant makes fail safe ones now that fail open, not in the closed position. I don't know how they do that!!! It seems that most of my failures in the last 50 years have been in the closed position!!!!

100% ethylene gylcol would be an over kill and a waste of money. I use 50/50 year round since it cools better in hot weather and takes the system to about -40 degrees C. in the winter. I can remember when we changed to 100% water in the summer. We used an additive to keep the block from rusting (it was called water pump lubricant). Air conditioned vehicles started the use of the anti-freeze in the summer since it raises the boiling point.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 92 LX getting a little hot. Can I use 100% pure Coolant?