General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

92 Lx spongy brakes after bleed

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 06:17 AM
Exclamation 92 Lx spongy brakes after bleed

Ok I have been looking for four days now on how to get the brakes un spongy. With no success, they have pressure when the car is off but when the car is on nothing, peddle goes right down, but if i pump it there is some pressure. I'm not going to drive on it being I do not know what will happen, The master cylinder is not bad or I would not be getting pressure. I know more about ford's, this is my first honda, its a 1992 honda accord lx, so no abs.

Me and my husband are pissed, and I'm tired of not know what to do, and do not wanna pay someone 90$ to have it done, when its something easy.

Back ground on the car the girl you had it before did not take care of the car at all. We did all the brakes, front and back, dont think doing the back right front left really helps, no air in lines, the fluid coming out is clear now and not the black it was before. This all started when I changed my front brakes and was bleeding the system.

Please help I love my little honda and wanna fix it up but its driving me bonkers!

Old 07-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Super Moderator

Keep bleeding the brakes, it sounds like there's still air in the lines somewhere.

Bleeding order for that year should be:
Right-rear > left-front > left-rear > right-front.

Sometimes I've had trouble bleeding the rear brakes. You think you're done, and the fluid is coming out clear. But if you keep bleeding you eventually get a few more air bubbles then it's OK.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:52 PM

Should I do it with the car on to know when or just bleed a bleed till it's done, and dose the right rear front left really work? Like I said I had a ford for a long time lol

Old 07-23-2012, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

how do you know the master cylinder is not bad? did it tell you? yes i'm being a smart ****...the cylinder could most definitely be bypassing and creating the spongy pedal.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:06 PM

Ha! Yes he popped it head up and said with a British ascent " I'm fine good woman Tia the brakes". :P I know I'm a woman but I know cars ..... A little bit, the last time I did something like this there was no pressure at all, my uncle who works on cars said no pressure at all means master cylinder is bad. Many tears were cried from my friend lol I'm going to bleed them more tonight see what I get. Just wondering if having the car on even though no abs would help.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:11 PM
Super Moderator

makes no difference whether the car is on or off, but do it with the engine off, you'll get a better feel without the booster working. and how did an OKey, get a honda with a british accent may i ask???

Old 07-23-2012, 02:27 PM

That good sir I do not know, I'm just that cool. I got called in to work so my hubby will have to do it with some friends, one does know more about cars so that will help will post up date about it when done.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:45 PM
Super Moderator

Another idea, but maybe less likely. I wonder if a bad proportioning valve can hang onto air bubbles and make the rear brakes difficult to bleed??

Old 07-23-2012, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

Did you replace the front calipers?

If yes, then... Are the bleeders pointing up or pointing towards the ground?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:43 PM

Jim Thats I would not really know about, but Like I said I got this cars in bad shape, I have dumped around 900$ in it fixing alot of major issue, so this would not shock me, it over heats when I'm not moving, but when I move or turn on the heater it cools off. I know there's oil leak from the burnt oil on my hood.

Pahonda they are pointing up, and we just did the brakes. I'm going to have to take this in and have it looked at tomorrow morn, my buddy thats taking me to work has made me late the last few time in a row, and I miss driving my baby.

I'm hoping its just I didn't do something just right when bleeding them this time, number four, we did as you all said and still nothing, spongy, is there like a curse on hondas?

Last edited by HondaWoman; 07-24-2012 at 04:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 92 Lx spongy brakes after bleed