General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Accord Condenser Problem

Old 08-02-2007, 11:20 AM
shazi201
Unregistered
Default 93 Accord Condenser Problem

Hello everyone;

Before i post my question i want to thank everyone for this great site. I recently purchased 93 Honda Accord EX. The AC dosent work and i took it to the mechanic and after cleaning the system he was adding gas when he realized there was a leak in the Condenser. He is asking me $250 to change the condenser. My question is i have to drive to see my mother today and it is a 500 mile drive. Can i drive the car with a bad condenser or do i need to get it fixed. I do understand in the newer models the Trany fluid passes through the tubes to cool down but is it the same for 93 Accord. I really dont care for the AC at least for this trip as i will be driving at night. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 93 Accord Condenser Problem

The tranny cooler is in the radiator. Not in the AC condenser.

Most likely your AC has leaked for awhile, letting air & moisture into the system. Replace the receiver/dryer too.

If your AC shop didn't pull a vacuum on the system first, you probably should look for a different AC shop. Not only does this verify that there's no leaks, but all the air MUST be removed from the system before adding refrigerant.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:05 PM
shazi201
Unregistered

JimBlake; Thank you very much for the reply. So my question still can i drive the car without the condeenser working. Like i said i dont need the AC. According to what you have stated the condenser is for AC only.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:27 PM

In order to even work on any AC component you must first be MVAC trained and EPA certified, I would check into this shop that did the work first on your car and see if they are certified. If not i would think about tring to get your money back. Your saftey is always a concern when atepting to drive with faulty parts, as long as the condenser didn't freeze up or something else, it might be fine to drive far, in my opinion.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:34 PM
shazi201
Unregistered

I dont think the the condenser is frozen. It is so hot here that i am afaid the car will melt. . I will take the chance and drive and lets see what happens. I was only afraid that the conderser might me involved in cooling any of the engine fluid, which you guys have clearified that it is for AC only.

Old 08-02-2007, 12:40 PM

Take it easy and drive safe, also tools in the car are always a good idea just in case!

Old 08-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can drive it with a broken condensor. you just wont have a/c

Old 08-02-2007, 03:17 PM
Super Moderator

Yes, I should have said that too.

You already know the AC won't work. Other than that, you're not going to do cause any additional problems by driving it. Keep driving itas long asyou can live without AC.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:37 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Like other members have said you can drive thousands and thousands of miles on a leaky a/c condensor ,, aside from the a/c not working you will not have any problem,,

the only issue you could have is if the condensor were totally plugged thus no air flow would get through to the radiator to cool the coolant down ,, , condensor sit if frt of radiator ,, but aside that DRIVE AWAY ..

Old 08-07-2007, 06:17 PM
shazi201
Unregistered

Ok guys; i drove 1,000 miles over the weekend and am back. But before i left i had my Thermostat changed. One thing i did notice is that my fan turns on very late and then stays on for a couple of seconds and turns off. is this normal or do i need to get my fan switch replaced. The temperature niddle always stay little below the middle mark. Could it be possible my Fan switch is not working properly and because of that the coolant is not circulating properly.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 93 Accord Condenser Problem