General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 accord quit on me no spark first place to look ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Default 93 accord quit on me no spark first place to look ?

Ok guys my 1993 accord has given me a few issues but all my answers have been found here ..
today she just quit on me comming home from work checked fuel at the fuel rail got that .. checked for spark at plugs and no spark .. checked for spark comming from coil and none there so what module / sensor / fuse mabe do i check for now is there a relay i need to check somehow or is the coil mabe the cullprt??
any input greatly appreaceated mean while i will be doing searches seeing if i can locate any ideas while waiting for your opinions .
thanks in advance

Old 10-09-2007, 05:57 PM
Default RE: 93 accord quit on me no spark first place to look ?

no spark.. check the ignition module in the disributor, check the coil, also check your cap and rotor. if it just quit while driving Id say that either your module or coil flunked out.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:51 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go to our DIY section 2nd page,, ,, there is a write up on how to test for no spark .. it sounds like a bad ignitor to me as well ,,
But diagnose first ,,

Old 10-09-2007, 07:44 PM

funny thing i did the test with the test light put it on two of the leads in the dist with the key on and had power to both put it on the other lead on the end of the mod and cranked it over and the dam thing tried to start with everything torn apart so i cleaned up all the terminals put it back togeather and she runs fine now so i dont know what the hell i know i sure dont trust it not sure which one is the ignitor or the coil ..
is the black one the ignitor and the yellow looking one with the terminals the coil ?? not to mention it has a conventional type coil mounted on the engine.. so im still a little puzzled ..

Old 10-11-2007, 01:19 PM

the ignitor is the black chip on the top of the distributor and the ignition coil is the small box that has a wire running from it to the cap itself.

Old 10-11-2007, 01:32 PM

If it dies again, you may have an overheating coil, did you notice any oil inside the distributor?

EDIT
look at the 91 Accord lx hesitation thread going on right now, there are three links on one of the posts for you.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:27 PM

yea dam thing quit on me again yesterday after running it around town and letting it idle for a long time ..
this time it wont start and after reading on these distributors sounds like they had a recall years ago on them and its been a constant problem. looks like the ignitor alone goes for about 80 bucks and i see a guy selling complete distrutors for about 150$ so im thinking with 180k miles on her im going to just do a complete dist as it of course comes with a new and improved lemon sented ignitor and coil that arnt supposed to be so subseptable to the heat sink problem they are know for.. so we shall see .
but im still open to sugestions
Thanks again guys this site is a wealth of info
i used to have a shop years ago and modules and coils were a little different back in the day of the early elect ignitons .. so im re-learing some stuff this was my daughters car and im just glad she didnt have it leave her stranded in all the yrs she drove it ..

Old 10-11-2007, 04:30 PM

Good luck! Let us know if a new distributor fixes the problem!

Old 10-11-2007, 04:55 PM

actually the dist that i need is only 109$ plus free shipping and its brandnew no rebuilds so no core etc and of course has all the internal coil ignitor etc so we shall see ...

Old 10-11-2007, 06:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: indianbullet

and of course has all the internal coil ignitor etc .
93 accord has external coil,, up to 1991 accords it had internal coils,,

Quick Reply: 93 accord quit on me no spark first place to look ?