General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93' accord won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 93' accord won't start

I am working on a 93' accord for a friend that won't start. At first I was not getting fuel. Narrowed that down to fuel pump, replaced it (PIA). Now still no start, I pulled out sparkplugs and I have oil in the wells, not sure if it was there before I didn't check. Any suggestions Valve cover gasket, gromets?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

If you have oil on top of the spark plugs, then you should replace the valve cover gasket and the four seals on top. That may not fix the problem, but you should take care of it first to rule that out.

If the car doesn't start after that, then you will have to determine if the problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. How did you verify that the fuel pump was not working? Did you also rule out the main fuel relay?

Old 02-03-2010, 04:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes ruled out relay tested it according to a link I got from this site. Same thing with pump. I will be replacing the the gaskets and plugs today, also changing oil. What is the best way to clean up oil?

Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

I would push a rag in there with the spark plugs still installed to soak up as much as possible.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:58 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

How did you check for no fuel?

Old 02-04-2010, 05:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

first at the fuel line, then at the filter, then tested relay, finally tested pump. This link is the link I used off of this site, to test the relay and fuel pump.

http://techauto.awardspace.com/conte...mainrelay.html

Old 02-04-2010, 06:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I changed the valve cover gasket, top, and bottom gaskets. The bottom ones were in the worst shape, they were hard and broken. Also change the spark plugs (NGK Copper.) Still no start, I'm assuming I have no spark but its raining to hard to go play with electricity, so I will wait until tomorrow to check for spark. Lets say I have no spark first I will check and clean distributor cap, rotor, and test wires for continuity and arching. Lets say these all pass how would I check the ignition control module?

Old 02-04-2010, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

I find it very unlikely that your friend's car had spark and fuel problems at the same time.

When you checked for fuel, did you disconnect something at the rail, filter, pump to see if gas came out? Are you sure that you jumped the main fuel relay? It is hidden behind the cruise control unit and a pain to get to.

Did you add 1-2 gallons of gas to the tank to make sure the car didn't simply run out of gas?

Here are some things that you can check.

Turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. Does the fuel pump turn on for about 2 seconds in the middle of the clicks? It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound from the back seat, so listen carefully. You may need someone to turn the key for you and listen where you fill the tank with the gas cap off.

I would suggest using a timing light to see if you are generating enough spark.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes I am positive that I checked the main relay, and your right it was the biggest PIA. In fact I can't remember how the parts fit back so that is going to take me a while. Yes I added gas, and yes I know that the pump was bad! The pump has already been replaced.

I agree that it is very unlikely that I had both an ignition and fuel failure at the same time. After working on this car and talking with my friend its a little more believable, the car has 320,000 miles, he can't remember the last time the car was tuned up. The air filter was as black as a tire, he is not sure if he has ever replaced fuel filter, and always ran the tank on empty. He replaced the sparkplugs about 5 years ago. He has never taken the car to a shop, instead always taken it to a friend (not me, this is my first time working on this car.)

Just to give you a little information on my mechanic experience, I am not a professional, not even close. I have never taken any of my cars to a shop, I have always fixed them myself, thanks a lot to people like yourself and websites like this. I have owned a 87' accord (sold it with 220,000) 92' legend (torque converter went out, I had to wait to tow it off the road, when I got to it the next day it had been broken into and more damage caused then it was worth) 00' Grand Am (currently own). I have done everything except getting inside the Tranny and the internals of the engine (Pistons and such) I have done cv axle, alternators, starters, tune ups, entire cooling systems, brakes, power steering, clutch, head gaskets, Lim gaskets, and alot more.

I will test with a timing light when the rain stops, and update when I can

Old 02-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Since the car was poorly maintained, I would replace the air filter, distributor cap, and rotor. Those are all items will eventually wear out and can lead you down the wrong path to diagnose the problem. If the spark plug wires have cracked insulation, I would replace with NGKs or the ones from the dealership. They are a bit more expensive, but last for a long time.

I would also check the engine computer for codes. All you need is a thin paperclip to short a blue 2-pin service connector under the passenger kick panel. Turn the key to the II position and count any codes. See: http://techautorepairs.com/dtc.html for instructions with images.

Quick Reply: 93' accord won't start