General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

93 accord wont start, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 02:08 PM
lcl
Default 93 accord wont start, any ideas?

I have a 93 accorrd that has 100,000 miles on it we are the only owners everything is original. When it first started to act up by not starting every once and awhile I checked the coil for spark and wasn't getting any so I replaced the coil. It ran fine for a few weeks then while driving down the road it died and smoke came out of the ignition switch. I replaced the ignition switch and it ran fine for a couple of weeks then died while going down the road again. It would would turnover but not start. The next day the same thing, turned over but wouldn't start. After I tried a few times it just stopped no clicking nothing. It acts like a fuse but I'm not sure which one or where. I checked the battery and have great voltage. I checked the ignition switch and have no juice there. Would the main relay go bad and stop all power to the ignition switch? Any ideas would be appreciated. Update: I checked the battery fuse closer and noticed it was bad, on my way to get another fuse.

Last edited by lcl; 08-05-2010 at 03:29 PM. Reason: update
Old 08-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

No, the ignition switch is "upstream" of the main relay. A bad ignition switch might prevent the main relay from energizing, but not the other way around.

Old 08-05-2010, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator

Check the fuses in the underhood fuse panel. There are a couple in there that could be the cause of what you are seeing.

Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
lcl
Default update on 93 accord not starting

I replaced the bad fuse under the hood but now I'm back to where it will turnover but not start. I can hear the fuel pump come on. I checked the new coil for spark and nothing. I do have voltage all the time at the black and yellow wire on the plug to the coil but when I turn it over it drops from around 12 down to around 9. The other two wires aren't showing much at any time.

Old 08-08-2010, 06:13 PM
lcl
Default Still need help

I appreciate the help so far but I'm about to give up and take it to the Honda dealer to see why it doesn't start. I'm getting fuel to the rail, I have plenty of battery, looking through the oil filler cap I can see that it's turning over but it still won't start. All the fuses are good. Like I said before it has a new ignition switch and new coil. Any more ideas out there. Thanks

Old 08-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator

So you've checked at the coil, are you getting spark to the plugs? Have seen bad cap/rotor prevent the "spark" fom making it to the plugs.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:46 AM
lcl
Default 93 Accord won't start

Thanks for your reply Poorman. I'm not getting any spark out of the coil or the sparkplug wires. I'm going to put a new cap, rotor and plug wires on Tuesday (today) before I take it to the Honda dealer. I know that they will if I don't and it is pretty much due for new ones anyway. I went to test the igniter and I'm getting 11.54 v at the blk/y terminal with the key on. I had to stop at that point to go to work but I plan on checking the other wires Tuesday (today) I have to check the wires to see which is which. In the trouble shooting section on checking the igniter it mentions checking the wht/blu wire next at position 2 but I have a solid green one there and a wht/gr one on the other side of the blk/y with another green coming of the side where it shows going to the tach. We've had this car since new and I've never had to look at the schematics. Other then routine maintenence I've never had to do anything till now. I just want to say that I really appreciate you, Jim Blake and Deserthonda for your help since the three of you seem to answer most the posts on this sight. But I appreciate everyone who helps (don't want to slight anybody).

Last edited by lcl; 08-10-2010 at 01:39 PM. Reason: updating
Old 08-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry, I spaced on the coil, you stated before that no spark is coming out. Before giving up and going to the dealer, finish checking the ICM/ignitor? I don't have the manual for that model on this computer so I can't give the test procedures, if you don't have it alreay there are some links in the faq. It sounds like you already have a manual of some sorts so you might find it in there.

Old 08-10-2010, 07:17 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

http://www.techautorepairs.com/ignition.html

DIY SECTION,,,,,,,,,,,DIY SECTION,,,,,,,,,,,let's look in there,,,,,,,,,,it is there for a reason and not just to take up space

Old 08-11-2010, 03:02 AM
lcl
Default thanks deserthonda

Deserthonda thanks for the reminder to look in the DYI, that is where I have been looking and where I saw to go through the steps that I have so far. I've been on the link that you posted for the ignition since the get go. I don't have my own manual so it has been very helpful. I did search the sight before I posted. Like I said in my previous post the wires that the link show aren't the same color code as on my accord other than the blk/y. So I'm trying to work that out. Thanks

Quick Reply: 93 accord wont start, any ideas?