General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 honda accord lx 2.2

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2012, 10:44 AM
Question 93 honda accord lx 2.2

the car I have doesn't seem to want to start up and idle, the timing is correct as to my knowledge, if i did it correctly the top pulley gear arrow has to be facing downward and in line with the harmonic balancer pulley right? if so that i have it correct but my fuel pump is not the cause because the car has been sitting, it acts like it's not getting any fuel but i quadruple checked my fuel injectors and everything is good there....is there something i am missing??

Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

For timing to be correct, the crankshaft and the camshaft must be aligned at same time. Align crankshaft and lift valve cover to inspect camshaft alignment.

If timing is good, then your first step w/ no-start is to determine whether fuel or spark is missing. One of the easiest checks is to turn keyswitch to On and w/ quiet conditions listen for two clicks from Main Fuel Relay (MFR) under dash panel, and fuel pump to buzz for 2-3 secs in fuel tank and cut off.

Also the Check Engine, Alt, and Oil Pressure lights in gauge panel should come on. Check Engine light should go off w/ the fuel pump.

If you hear the MFR and fuel pump, ignition fault is likely. You can use a timing light attached to spark plug lead to check for spark; no flash means no spark, or use a spark tester to check for spark on one lead.

good luck

Old 07-25-2012, 09:52 PM

all that is correct i have all the spark plugs there i just bought a brand new set of spark plugs and wires, and i have half a tank of gas, and the car has been sitting for a while and a fuel pump doesn't go out if it's just sitting there. my time is good, my oil is good, i have old gas but that shouldn't keep it from starting. my neighbor looked at my spark plugs and they have a spark., it acts like it wants to start but it isn't getting fuel and i checked my injectors and its getting gas like crazy. what else could it be??

Old 07-26-2012, 05:49 AM

You have missed or misinterpreted something. If you have fuel, fire, timing, and compression engine will start.

Have you checked for compression? If engine was ever mis-timed, the valves could have been damaged and no compression to enable starting.

Otherwise, spark seems most likely. Occasionally, spark can be present w/ an "in-air" spark test and fail to provide a spark under engine compression. Suggest trying the spark test w/ timing gun to look for flash.

good luck

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM

i can not do a compression test since the car will not even start, the spark plugs are good because if they were bad the car would not even try to start...i have a manual and re did the time the way the manual says and still won't start. i quadruple checked the spark plugs and i seen a flash. is there a rest button on the passanger side inside the car for the fuel pump? it has to be fuel but the fuel pump doesn't go out just sitting for 8 months and even though i have 8 month old gas it still should start, and i have the electronic fuel injector installed correctly. is there any other possible things, too bad you can't come and take a look at it because nobody that has helped me knows what they are doing and i can not afford a mechanic nor payments for another car.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:25 PM

You need to be clear. Is the engine turning over? If yes, you can do a compression test. It doesn't need to start to check compression.

Turn keyswitch to On and listen for two clicks from under the dash, and fuel pump to come on in fuel tank for 2-3 secs and go off. CEL should go off when fuel pump goes off.

Post what your find.

good luck

Old 07-29-2012, 04:28 PM

yes the engine is turning over. and i don't think you can hear the fuel pump in my car, most cars you can't hear the fuel pump run

Old 07-29-2012, 07:15 PM

Yours would be the first Accord I've known where you couldn't hear the Main Fuel Relay and fuel pump. Listen carefully in quiet conditions or get someone to listen at the fuel tank cap w/ cap removed. If no sound, then fuel pressure is unlikely and probable cause of no-start.

good luck

Old 07-29-2012, 07:26 PM

thats not right because i pull off the fuel filter and it spills out gas like crazy

Last edited by Kyle Plummer; 07-29-2012 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:13 PM

the motor keeps slipping out of time what does that mean?