General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 Honda Short

Old 10-15-2011, 03:59 PM
Post 93 Honda Short

The original problem was that the car would not start when hot. At first it would turn over and so I did a tune up thinking that was the problem.(new plugs, distributor w/rotor, fuel filter, pvc the works). It still would not start and so I came on this site and realized it may be the main relay. However, now I hear the first click on the relay and when I try to start the dash start light go out I loos power and the car is dead -everything dies. If I wait awhile it will go through the same sequence again - check engine light comes on and goes off and evrthing else works like it is suppose to. I can hear a seperate click before it fails again each time I try and like I tripped something.

I think I may have induced something but clueless. All the fuses are good. Not sure why it will let me try to start again after awhile and what is tripping to shut everthing down.

Any suggestions- hope I explained it enough.

Last edited by Sairsint; 10-15-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Problem has symptoms of failing keyswitch assy. If all the dash lights go off when engine dies, keyswitch is very likely. Check for 12V at blk/yel wire on the distributor connector when keyswitch is ON. If 12V is missing,t the keyswitch assy is confirmed.

Check DIY forum for guidance. Also check youtube for good videos on this subject.

good luck

Old 10-16-2011, 02:29 AM

check if your battery is fully charged then check the rest.

Old 10-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Cleaning the cable ends of the battery cables when checking the battery...Then, when the issue is present, jump a wire directly from the battery (+) to the starter-the small wire at the solenoid....could be a failing starter as well.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:32 AM
Default Still not starting checked battery etc...

Okay probably did not explain well, still same suggestions?

Original issue car turned over but would not start
I did a complete tune-up to fix a start the problem on the 93 Accord, when i later learned it was when the engine was hot or just hot out that the car would not start I dicided to change the Main Relay because there were a lot of related post/issues which were fixed by doing that.

NOW- New issue is it is completly dead-shorted out when I tried to start but I can not find a bad fuse or what shorted out. Any Suggestions?

Last edited by Sairsint; 10-17-2011 at 02:45 PM. Reason: Better explanation
Old 10-17-2011, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

So are you sure the battery is not "run down".....or the starter has now given out?
Have them tested.

Old 10-18-2011, 12:07 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Sairsint
Okay probably did not explain well, still same suggestions?

NOW- New issue is it is completly dead-shorted out when I tried to start but I can not find a bad fuse or what shorted out. Any Suggestions?

Now ,, does the car crank ( turn over ) at all ??

if not ,, chk the battery , make sure that it is fully charged , chk the battery cable ends , make sure that there is no corrosion, ( clean and tight )
if ok,, chk the battery cable, make sure that there is no corrosion

do the lights on the dash come on when the ign switch is turned on ??