General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

93 wont start in hot weather

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:47 PM
Default 93 wont start in hot weather

I have a 93 honda accord 10th anniversary and when ever its really hot outside (im in florida) my car has a lot of trouble starting. As far as I can tell it is mostly random when it does it although it is a lot more common in hot weather.

I have had this problem for ~5 years now and it is very sporadic. one week it will start every time I try it then the next it will start every other time then it wont start for two months.

When I turn the electric on I immediately hear what I think is the fuel pump for a second or two. then a couple seconds of nothing and then I can hear the main relay click. If I try to start the car and it dies, and I try and start it again the relay never clicks on. It can take anywhere from 2-3 min to a few hours for it to click on so that I can attempt to get my car started.

Once my car is running it never stalls, but it idles really rough. My check engine light is on but its only for a brake problem. And the D4 light on my car used to always start flashing when I cant get it to start or if i get it started after it dies but lately it hasnt been flashing at all. Oh and every once in a blue moon when I cant get it started when I take the key out of the ignition My car will make a quick beep sound. I have no idea what is causing that.

I have had my car in 5 different shops and none of them could figure out what is wrong with my car. I have had the main relay and coil replaced. (along with a bunch of other things like the water pump that I dont think would affect this.)

Old 04-19-2013, 07:59 PM
Super Moderator

Just me but I've got a few ideas....are you doing any of this yourself?

There are a few things to test when the situation happens....don't blame the shop.....if the car is working what are they going to find....the car is working?

Old 04-20-2013, 08:52 AM

Im not mechanically inclined so unless its very simple I will probably have a shop do it.

I wasnt trying to blame the shop for this, I just wanted people to know that this problem isnt something that a shop would first look at.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

This is one of those things where testing "when it happens" is needed.

Again, there are a list of things it could be.

Electrical part of the key switch.
ECU.
A few others.

Also, get the code from the CEL - The cel does not come on because of a brake issue, abs light or red brake light will but not the yellow check engine light. To check the code(s) all you need is a paperclip.

Old 04-23-2013, 12:13 PM

Sorry, its going to be a couple days. Im shopping for a new car right now so I might be able to trade it in and be done with it. If I end up not getting a new car right now then I will google how to check the ECU.

Oh something I just thought of. The yellow maintenance light has been on for a couple months now to.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Super Moderator

Well the code might have an answer.....If you want to try to resolve the issue yourself, let us know.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by drumm3r7
I have a 93 honda accord 10th anniversary and when ever its really hot outside (im in florida) my car has a lot of trouble starting. As far as I can tell it is mostly random when it does it although it is a lot more common in hot weather.

I have had this problem for ~5 years now and it is very sporadic. one week it will start every time I try it then the next it will start every other time then it wont start for two months.

When I turn the electric on I immediately hear what I think is the fuel pump for a second or two. then a couple seconds of nothing and then I can hear the main relay click. If I try to start the car and it dies, and I try and start it again the relay never clicks on. It can take anywhere from 2-3 min to a few hours for it to click on so that I can attempt to get my car started.

Once my car is running it never stalls, but it idles really rough. My check engine light is on but its only for a brake problem. And the D4 light on my car used to always start flashing when I cant get it to start or if i get it started after it dies but lately it hasnt been flashing at all. Oh and every once in a blue moon when I cant get it started when I take the key out of the ignition My car will make a quick beep sound. I have no idea what is causing that.

I have had my car in 5 different shops and none of them could figure out what is wrong with my car. I have had the main relay and coil replaced. (along with a bunch of other things like the water pump that I dont think would affect this.)

Replace relay from behind dash asap to fix intermittent hot weather start.

Old 04-24-2013, 11:55 PM
Super Moderator

There are no engine codes for brake problems. Checking the code(s) is easy and may take a few minutes.

The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link on how to check engine codes. All you need is a piece of wire or a thin paperclip to do the test.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:43 PM

I already replaced the main relay. and ill check out that link for the ECU code and get back to you.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM

Ok, I got my car back finally.

The car wouldnt start when i checked the codes. The D4 light wasnt flashing though. (it rarely does that any more.)

The engine codes are -
6, 41

6 ECT - water temperature sensor
41 Primary oxygen sensor heater

TCU codes -

1-Lock-up solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
2-Lock-up solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
3-Throttle Position Sensor circuit open or shorted.
7-Shift Solenoid 'A' circuit open or shorted.
8-Shift Solenoid 'B' circuit open or shorted.
10-Coolant Temperature Sensor open or shorted.
14-Linear (line pressure control) solenoid open or shorted.

Quick Reply: 93 wont start in hot weather