General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 5sp accord vibration

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2011, 11:43 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 5sp accord vibration

Evening all,

I just purchased a 2dr 94 accord 5spd with the VTEC motor(apologies I don't know if its the 1.8 or not). I have a few general questions about it. First, is it normal for the engine to vibrate at idle (more pronounced when the AC is turned on, you can feel it especially in the steering wheel and seat)? If not normal, how can this be corrected. If it is normal, is there any way to lessen the vibration?

Second, I cannot get air to blow out of the center console vents (they come out of the side vents fine). Any suggestions on that one?

I appreciate any info I receive, this is going to be my car for awhile and it is in need of some TLC right now but I have big plans for it.

Last edited by SkyhawkCaptain; 04-17-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Check the mounts, mainly the front between rad and engine and the rear....1.8L, happen to be in in the UK?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Newest Of Newbies

No sorry, I am in Oklahoma. Just picked this car up as a commuter. What should I look for in detecting defects with the mounts?

Old 04-17-2011, 09:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

"Second, I cannot get air to blow out of the centerconsole vents (they come out of the side vents fine). Any suggestions on that one?"

I've seen this problem on my 94 EX and found that I had to cycle through the vent positions, going from Defrost to Upper Vents only finally (right to left). This enabled the center vent. Not sure what's happening but worth a try.

Make sure your idle air control valve (IACV), IACV ports (inlet and outlet), throttle plate (both sides), and throttle bore are clean (throttle body cleaner), and adjust idle to specification w/ the idle air bleed screw.

You should download the 94-97 Accord Manual from Online Manuals links in DIY Forum. This has idle adjustment procedure in detail.

It may still be bad mounts, but too low idle and clogged IACV can also cause vibration.

You can observe both front and rear mounts (rear from pax side of vehicle) and have someone lightly (1500-2000 rpm) punch throttle w/ emergency brake set and foot firmly on brake pedal while you observe mounts from side of vehicle. You should be able to see a broken mount.

good luck

Old 04-17-2011, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Should be a 2.2 L engine, in the UK I think they had the 1.8 L....

For the vents, you can follow the manual. Also I found (my 95 EX) that a little lube on the vent motor linkage helps. Can view this from the drivers side, looking up from the foot area...If you have the car on an cycle the vents to different settings you should see the linkage I'm talking about.

Then you might as well check the blend door adjustment while you're at it.

Old 04-17-2011, 06:27 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks a ton for all the replies gents! I know the car is in rough shape right now but I am gonna try to make a nice ride out of it. Im going to download the manual right now.

Thanks again for everything! Ill report back soon with what happens.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Found the manuals.

Update on the vibrations at idle, I got it to start (car doesn't crank every now and then) and let it sit for about a minute and it sits right above 1000rpm at idle.

Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

At that idle speed, you should not see vibrations so perhaps motor mounts are bad.

W/ idle speed at 1000, you need to perform the IACV and throttle body cleaning and reset idle per manual. Perhaps someone raised the idle to reduce vibrations.

good luck

Old 04-18-2011, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

Getting warm in OK. When it won't start, turn the key to on (position 2/pos II)-does the cel come on for a few seconds and go off?

Old 04-19-2011, 01:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Ill check in the morning when I can get back to the car. Anything I should look for in the CEL besides it coming on and off? Sequences or certain flashing patterns to look for?

Last edited by SkyhawkCaptain; 04-19-2011 at 01:52 AM.

Quick Reply: 94 5sp accord vibration