General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord cranks wont start though

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 08:56 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 Accord cranks wont start though

I have a 94 Accord with f22b1 sohc vtec engine 5 speed, i bought the car about a 1000 miles ago had 140k when i bought it ran and drove mint entire time got like 40mpg but now just will not start itll crank till the batteries dead but wont start any ideas?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If yours gets 40 miles to the gallon I will buy it sight unseen for $4000... [rolleyes]

Anyway you need to find out if you have spark, cranking a car that doesn't start is not a good idea.

Pull a sparkplug out and see if you have spark while cranking, if you have spark you then need to see if you have fuel.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:17 PM
Super Moderator

There are a couple of things you can do.

When you turn the key to the II position and do not try to start the, does the check engine light turn on for about two seconds?

Check for engine codes. Open the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum and open the link for checking engine codes.

Disconnect the battery, and clean all ends of both battery cables using a wire brush.

If you don't know the maintenance history, you may want to replace the spark plugs. Get the NGK brand spark plugs recommended on the sticker under the hood. Most parts stores carry them. The recommended plugs are also listed in the owner's manual. I think they are the zfr5f-11.

Do you have a timing light and/or a volt meter?

Old 05-08-2012, 09:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

hahaha thanks...i know I'm not an idiot i crank it for like 2 secs just enough to see if it'll catch then let off, but i think it have a clogged fuel filter cause sometimes it'll start for a second then die so I've got some spark and some fuel but its not enough maybe?

Old 05-09-2012, 06:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

i checked all the spark plugs everything thats connected to spark working fine i just replaced the main relay fuse i saw other people replace that had the same problem and put that in and it still wont start all the fuses are good

Old 05-09-2012, 06:42 PM

do the spark plugs spark when the starter is turned over?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

yeah i got the thing running it was the main relay fuse or whatever just realized my ignition switch is ****ed lol um i called the parts store and they said a new was like $230 just because its standard do you think i could hook up an automatic one ive heard of it being done in other vehicles it just makes it so you dont have the clutch safety switch

Old 05-10-2012, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by R.Weed93
yeah i got the thing running it was the main relay fuse or whatever just realized my ignition switch is ****ed lol um i called the parts store and they said a new was like $230 just because its standard do you think i could hook up an automatic one ive heard of it being done in other vehicles it just makes it so you dont have the clutch safety switch

Huh. Are we talking the electrical part or the whole thing?

Old 05-11-2012, 12:29 AM

what is wrong with the switch??? if car starts and dies right away you can

just buy the electrical part of the ignition switch , get it at the dealer 60-70 dollars or so

Old 05-16-2012, 08:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Died again doing 3250rpms 80mph on the highway just cut off as if i turned the key off had to tow it back and now wont start at all replaced the fuel filter wasnt that but while doing that i collapsed a fuel line so im gonna fix that see if the works and then if its not that im going to replace the fuel pump and see but any suggestions? i heard it could be some other things some stupid sensor thats gone bad like my buddy with a jeep cherokee his coolant temp sensor went and would crank all day but would start idk just suggestions would be helpful or if you need more info lemme know

Quick Reply: 94 Accord cranks wont start though