General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord EX A/C Smells like Urine

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Default 94 Accord EX A/C Smells like Urine

Im pretty sure the filter is all gunked up with mold. I havent used the A/C since last fall so mold has probably formed all inside. Is there a how to or pdf that shows the correct way to change the filter and clean the system? Thanks

Old 07-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

There is no cabin air filter. Clean out any debris clogging the drain hose from the evaporator on the passenger side firewall. Use a pipe cleaner or straitened coat hanger.

Once all the water drains out, turn on the blower motor on high (no a/c, coldest temp setting) also have the air recirculate in the cabin. Liberally spray Lysol disinfectant into the flap that opens (behind the glove box) to kill off any mold/bacteria left. You may have to do this for a few days to kill off everything.

Old 07-02-2010, 09:36 PM
Super Moderator

I've seen threads about rodents nesting in the fan cage. You might have to remove the fan to clean it out thoroughly?

Old 07-03-2010, 01:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you might also have to remove the a/c evap , clean it with soapy water and replace the insulation foams .By the way make sure to plug the pipes so no water can get inside it ( duct tape works good for that .also get a can of fridgy-fresh or lysol ( i prefer fridgy-fresh) smells better ,,, and when done cleaning the evap,and ready to re assemble , spray it on the new insulators and in the evap cases ,,also spray some in the vents and let it sit for a while before using the a/c system

PA is correct ,there is no a/c cabin filter till 1998 ( first year )

Last edited by deserthonda; 07-03-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 07-03-2010, 05:16 AM

the easiest way to clean the evap is to buy a new one.
if you clean a dirty evap then it will never get completely clean. years of dust, debris and water clog and corrode the lower fins.
you'd better remove the evap and soak it in a bucket to loosen the muck, while your doing that you might as well remove the blower (if you don't have to already) and clean the years of dust on that too.
spray water from the opposite direction to try and remove the muck. you can use a dental pick to pull out stubborn debris (like cleaning teeth) finally spray dow bathroom cleaner (scrubbing bubbles) soak and rinse, repeat 2-3 times or more if necessary.
if you don't have the a/c tools to do the job, remove the blower and try to vacuum loose debris on evap then use bathroom cleaner (follow the directions) and clean the drain tube.
if you wanna do the least amount of work then buy the stuff some dealer use, the cleaner (expensive bathroom cleaner) with a tube on the can so you can spray it in evap by inserting between seals for evap and blower or somewhere?, this is only temporary and will smell again
If you plan on doing the complete clean-up mcgiver or mcgruber yourself an air filter with duct tape and plastic. mine works but hangs a little low.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:09 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by brokanic
the easiest way to clean the evap is to buy a new one.
No it isn't ,,,,,,,,,i have been cleaning a crap load of them , the only thing that you need to buy is the 2 insulator foams , they do retain the smell and come apart
buy the way do you know how much a new complete evap costs???

Old 07-03-2010, 09:45 AM

Smells like urine...yuk. I was wondering if this mold is the bad stuff that will make you sick? I know there is some household mold that CAN actually kill you.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:36 PM

new 4 seasons evap w exp-valve $115 shipped
old parted out evap $20-30
you're old evap free

I always choose free first
have a happy 4th! live free!
it'll be a good day to seafoam the vehicles,
lots of smoke and noise. YMMV

Old 07-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Thumbs up Be Careful !!!

If you start changing a/c components, be careful... there is alot more to "just change evap and T E Valve". I am a professional HVAC & R Tech and think an attempt at cleaning is the better idea, for u can cause problems, and damage the "hermetic system" thats jus my opinion, nothin against the other guys idea. Yes its old and has alot of crap on it but u still can try to clean it the best u can and probably get rid of the smells. If ya got alot of cats by where ur car is, be sure to shut the windows, cats will **** any where, including inside ur car... It happened to me ! lol But good luck w/what ever u do.

Old 07-04-2010, 04:22 AM

Sounds like I'm in for a day of losing bolts, bleeding, breaking plastic clips, and cursing. Manual says I have to release the refrigerant?

Whats the level of difficulty of this job, time, and the tools required?
If I opted.. how much would a shop charge?

I have no cats nor are there any cats near my home. Parked in garage.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord EX A/C Smells like Urine