General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord Ex F22B1 5Speed 140k

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 01:21 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 Accord Ex F22B1 5Speed 140k

Hey guys I'm new to the site don't even technically own a honda, yet. But I'm going to purchase said car (94 Accord Ex 5Speed) tomorrow and i was wondering if theres anything i should look at specifically or any tell tale signs of problems and what not i mean i looked at the pics engine compartment is pretty clean for the most part is vtec btw i know its not to old but its gonna have some wear and tear but for the most part i know i will most likely be purchasing the car so i just wanted to be aware of that might be a problem looming. Thanks guys, i will soon be posting about performance stuff nothin crazy. if you guys want as well i can post pics of the vehicle i only have some from ad of sale once i get it ill post a bunch

Old 04-19-2012, 01:28 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

spend the money and take it to a shop that specializes on Hondas ,, ask for a buyer's chk out .......best money you will ever spend

Old 04-19-2012, 01:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ok thanks for the info what exactly is that? And anything that i should look for before i buy thats what im looking something that i will hopefully be able to see that will help me make the decision on wether to purchase or not, not oh yeah you know ill just go pick this old thing up send it to the shop whatever, sorry if i came of like a dick didnt mean to, but i have very limited funds due to the future purchase of this vehicle.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

Most shops will look over the car for $50 or $100. I'm sure the seller would let you take the car for an hour or two to let the shop do this.

Perhaps the most important question to ask is if/when the timing belt was replaced. The timing belt should be replaced every 7 years or 100k miles. So it should be on its 2nd or 3rd timing belt by now. If the timing belt breaks the engine is toast.

Old 04-19-2012, 11:54 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ok im going up today to look at the car the guy said it runs and drives mint and is offer any buyers to take car for test drive so its gotta be in decent condition the timing belt he did not mention so when i go up will definitely ask. but im not going to be able to go to a shop this is just one of those quick craigslist sales so im going to go the the the entire vehicle an overlook take it for a test drive then do a second overlook when i get back se if theres any oil leaking or anything you know thats why i was asking if there is anything i should be looking for because i wont be able to go to the shop when im test drivin but thank you for lettin me kno will definitely keep in mind for future vehicles

Old 04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Super Moderator

Just look for the usual stuff, clunks while turning or driving, transmission shifting smooth, brakes squeaking or vibrating.

Old 04-19-2012, 04:13 PM
Super Moderator

Rear wheel arches are a common area for corrosion - look carefully.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Prob too late.....as you went already.

Me, I'd ask to start the car almost as soon as you get there.Turn the key to "on" and be sure the CEL comes on for a few seconds and then goes off - this is a "bulb" check and a few other things but would confirm that the seller didn't remove the bulb to hide something.

Start the car and let it idle and talk to the seller for a few (you are getting the car to proper operating temp before the drive ). Take your time looking the car over while it is running, 15~20 minutes of idle time...then go for a drive.

When you get back, leave it running.....give it that "after drive" inspection.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you need to lift the car up in the air and inspect the underside of the car,,,,,

p/s rack for leaks, worn suspension parts,,,,,,,,etc etc .. ask owner for service records , if he has them , it will show how well he/she maintained the car , and as advised ask when the timing belt was done ( very important and costly )ask the owner for a carfax
like i said take it to a shop , ask for a buyer's inspection , they will check everything on the car from top to bottom,,,, and let you know what is wrong if anything ..