General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord Ex Instrument Cluster

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default 94 Accord Ex Instrument Cluster

Not sure where to post this but I just have a question about the instrument cluster on this car. I have seen other accords this year and they all have the Park, Drive, Neutral and all that in the cluster and mine doesn't. Trying to figure out if some models just didn't have these on the car or if mine was replaced with another cars.

Old 04-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you have a cluster from a 5 speed car

Old 04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Super Moderator

Cars with manual transmissions did not have the gear indicators in the cluster. The clusters in 94-97 accords are known to break, so its likely the one in your car broke and was replaced with one out of a manual car.

Did you do a carfax on the car? Just wondering if the mileage is right since the cluster was replaced.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:00 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Ya I got a carfax but I got it late and I had already purchased the car. The carfax said it would have anywhere from 130k-150k miles and right now it has 118k. When I first got the car the miles would even move up but I fixed it somehow. Weird thing about this car is the title doesnt say its a reconditioned title but the insurance company I went with says it is =/

Old 04-23-2012, 02:13 PM
Super Moderator

Well I hope you did not pay much for the car since it sounds like it was salvaged and the miles are unknown. But of course that doesn't mean it won't treat you well and be a reliable car, just would be a hard sell if you decided to get rid of it.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Paid 3000. Guy threw in some extra stuff. Hasnt really gave me any problems the past year just has an oil leak that needs to be fixed and the mechanic I took it to said after the oil leak is fixed the car should last a long while. This is the fourth car I have had and this one has been the easiest to maintain and no problems.

Old 04-23-2012, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

One thing I would be worried about, do you know when/if the timing belt was replaced....good rule to go by is 7yrs or 100K miles. So by age and "fuzzy" milage it should have been done.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

The instrument clusters for the 4 cylinders for an automatic or manual transmission are essentially the same part. The black plastic bezel that goes over it is different. The bezel for a manual transmission covers up the area that have P, R, N, D, D3, and D2. The clusters have different part numbers and are slightly different; but, people have been known to use different ones and still have for the most part, a functioning cluster.

An instrument cluster for an EX adds the ABS light in comparison to one for a LX or DX (which don't have the ABS light).

Last edited by redbull-1; 04-23-2012 at 08:55 PM. Reason: Added more info.
Old 04-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The instrument clusters for the 4 cylinders for an automatic or manual transmission are essentially the same part. The black plastic bezel that goes over it is different. The bezel for a manual transmission covers up the area that have P, R, N, D, D3, and D2. The clusters have different part numbers and are slightly different; but, people have been known to use different ones and still have for the most part, a functioning cluster.

An instrument cluster for an EX adds the ABS light in comparison to one for a LX or DX (which don't have the ABS light).
So does the car have it and it is just covered? Not really important that I have it I was just wondering why this particular car didnt have it and others do.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:45 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
One thing I would be worried about, do you know when/if the timing belt was replaced....good rule to go by is 7yrs or 100K miles. So by age and "fuzzy" milage it should have been done.
The carfax showed that it had been changed along with the water pump. The guy before actually took care of the car to my surprise. They are getting changed again though once I get my mechanic to fix the leak it has. Hes changing all the seals that are leaking and not leaking, replacing the belts and the water pump for 675$. Also trying to see if that was a good price or if I should just do it myself.

Quick Reply: 94 Accord Ex Instrument Cluster