General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord EX intermittent misfire

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

@Roader I started another thread about checking the EGR and I uploaded photos that showed that there is nothing at all for an EGR, no valve, no holes the manifold would attach to, nothing at all. So it would seem EGR is not something I ever have to worry about (and cannot help me with this current problem).

Old 05-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

When this happens, can you put the car into neutral and see if you can rev the engine?

Old 05-17-2013, 09:36 PM

Are you able to replace your ECU with a known working one just to see if its that? ECUs rarely go bad but its worth a shot.

Old 05-18-2013, 05:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies

@PAhonda as I mentioned on the previous page, yes I can put it into neutral and rev it completely fine, once putting it back into gear the problem will resume.

@RobinsonRicer No I don't have another ECU to test with unfortunately.

Old 05-18-2013, 06:10 AM
Super Moderator

Just me but this is sounding like an O2 gone/going bad?

Old 05-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by anim8onme
@Roader I started another thread about checking the EGR and I uploaded photos that showed that there is nothing at all for an EGR, no valve, no holes the manifold would attach to, nothing at all. So it would seem EGR is not something I ever have to worry about (and cannot help me with this current problem).
OK, no EGR. I wasn't aware of any previous threads.

It would be fairly cheap and easy to finish replacing the secondary ignition components (cap/rotor/wires) to rule them out. Internal or external coil?

Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

@poorman212 if it is the O2 sensor, is there any way I can test it? The manual I'm using only helps when a code is flashing (which I still don't have any).

@Roader I have replaced my ignition coil already and will be replacing cap/rotor/wires when I can afford it.

Also thanks guys for taking the time to help out.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:36 AM

Take a multimeter to the o2 sensor signal and ground wire and check voltage with the car on. In closed loop the voltages should fluctuate between .2v and .8v instead of staying towards one end.

A bad o2 sensor would cause a lean code though, unless its at the threshold where the ECU does not identify it as abnormal...

Also, I still strongly recommend the Vacuum test. You could have the issue occurring at certain times but still see the issues at idle or when revving through a vacuum gauge.

I asked before but is this a definite misfire or more of a stuttering? The ECU would recognize a misfire and then wait two drive cycles before setting a CEL if it keeps occurring.

Last edited by RobinsonRicer; 05-19-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 02:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks for the info for testing the o2 sensor, I will give that a go in the next couple of days when I can borrow a multimeter off a friend.

I have heard from several different sources on what a misfire sounds/feels like and it varies quite a bit. But really I have experienced a wide variety myself with this problem, from the car bucking and stuttering (no way to accelerate through, only waiting for it to end) to slight loss of power (I can accelerate through it, just much slower than normal). So I would say that yes the car has been misfiring, even though the CEL has not come on to indicate it.

Old 05-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

As I was checking fluids today, I had a look around and it looked like under the distributor was a bit wet (not water). I took off the cap and there was a little bit of what looks to be oil around the rim (towards the bottom). I couldn't see anything wet from above at all, but after feeling underneath there was some there as well.

Could this be linked with my issue I have been having? Or will this be something separate that still needs attention. Note: I have been going through oil faster than normal for the past while (but never let it get too low).

Quick Reply: 94 Accord EX intermittent misfire