General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord Ex loosing coolant - timing cover or lifters?

Old 04-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Default 94 Accord Ex loosing coolant - timing cover or lifters?

My 94 started loosing coolant when the engine heats up and pressure builds in the system. The leak is coming from somewhere below the timing belt cover. I stopped at Autozone and had them take a look and the worker said he did not think it was a head gasket but instead could be the timing belt cover gasket. I mentioned that only in the mornings upon start up, I car stumbles and as soon as I start to accelerate, I can hear a sputtering sound that reminds me of an bad plugs or wires but it goes away after accelerating for several seconds. The worker said it sounded like I was describing a lifter problem, but I am not sure if lifters would have more of a hard ticking sound. I also asked if he though the coolant leaking could be related to the lifters and he said yes. I took pics of the spot where the coolant starts flowing from. If you'll notice the big plastic timing belt cover, you'll also see a grimy, gunky level right beneath it. The leak is spouting out from a spot somewhere right above that gunked up platform. Another thing I need to mention is that when this happened today, I had to obviously stop the car because it was overheating, but I also check the oil and it was almost empty. I am pretty sure it was already low, but only a quart low because I had check it the previous day. The car runs like it always does(which is rough) once I let it cool , refill with water, and start driving again. There is no smoke from the tail pipe and I don't think I am seeing any discoloration(milky) in the oil. Please take a look at the pictures I provided as I tried to show the spot and also the water shooting out when it gets hot. What does this sound like?

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord Ex loosing coolant - timing cover or lifters?-1334097085255.jpg   94 Accord Ex loosing coolant - timing cover or lifters?-1334113899067.jpg   94 Accord Ex loosing coolant - timing cover or lifters?-1334113904093.jpg  
Old 04-11-2012, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The water pump is under the lower timing belt cover and likely is leaking by the shaft.

Access to water pump requires same steps as timing belt replacement and timing/balance shaft belts must be removed. If you haven't changed timing belt/balance belt recently, you may as well replace them with the water pump.

good luck

Old 04-11-2012, 08:26 AM

Would the water pump start leaking immediately upon startup if it has gone bad or would it take until the system got truly hot and pressure built up? I thought about the water pump too but I would have thought the water pump would start leaking immediately.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

FYI - listening to the guys behind the parts counters at most of the chain stores will just send you down wild goose chases. They are not very knowledgeable, there are exceptions of course but getting further and further apart.

I do not know of any common motor that uses the timing cover to seal coolant into the motor.

As for the lifter suggestion, again that was just another wild guess by the counter guy, Hondas, like almost all modern 4 cyc engines have overhead camshafts and do not have hydraulic lifters like older american V8's have thus cannot have a lifter fail.

The things I have heard the counter guys tell customers, especially girls, sometimes is just ridiculous.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by bustum
My 94 started loosing coolant when the engine heats up and pressure builds in the system...in the mornings upon start up, car stumbles and as soon as I start to accelerate, I can hear a sputtering sound that reminds me of an bad plugs or wires but it goes away after accelerating for several seconds.
The two symptoms together indicate a leaking head gasket. If you can verify that the external coolant leak is coming from between the head and block then it's certain.

Old 04-11-2012, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by crispin
FYI - listening to the guys behind the parts counters at most of the chain stores will just send you down wild goose chases. They are not very knowledgeable, there are exceptions of course but getting further and further apart.

I do not know of any common motor that uses the timing cover to seal coolant into the motor.

As for the lifter suggestion, again that was just another wild guess by the counter guy, Hondas, like almost all modern 4 cyc engines have overhead camshafts and do not have hydraulic lifters like older american V8's have thus cannot have a lifter fail.

The things I have heard the counter guys tell customers, especially girls, sometimes is just ridiculous.

Yeah I know. I started to preface the whole thing by saying "Now I know Autozone worker advice is not held in high regard..."

Do you have an opinion on whether or not the water pump should be noticeably leaking soon after startup or does it usually take until it gets heated and pressurized? I can drive for close to 15 minutes if the car has cooled down enough before I see the temp gauge rise. I'm sure it probably is the water pump though... I have heard a whiny sound coming from the timing belt cover area for a while now.

In addition to my question about the heat/pressure, can anyone tell me if driving the car with a leaking pump can cause any other problems? I would like to gather the money for genuine Honda parts but don't have that money right now. I don't have to dive long distances so I can get away with short trips before it gets hot(assuming it doesn't start leaking immediately after startup). Are there any problems with possible bad bearings that could make the whole thing wobble, break, and affect the timing belt or something else?

Last edited by bustum; 04-11-2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

More than likely it's the waterpump and at least needs some partial teardown and inspection...the timing belts are probably coolant soaked and will need replacement as well...and about timing covers holding in engine coolant, older Pontiacs use a combination cover.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:02 AM

You should stop driving the car now.
When the bearing in the waterpump finally seizes it will brake the timing belt which will cause your pistons to slap into your valves causing much problems for you.

Every time you start the car from this point on you are gambling with your motor.

You do not need Honda parts for the timing belt swap. I bought a Goodyear set from ebay and a water pump from the auto parts store. Total cost was less then $60

HONDA ACURA ISUZU TIMING BELT KIT 2.2L 2.3L ALL 95-02' | eBay

Old 04-11-2012, 01:02 PM

Locally, I have Autozone, O'Reilly's, Advance, Pep, and ABC as far as the big chains. Is there an aftermarket pump manufacturer that is considered better than the average and which stores carry that line? I assume a genuine Honda from the dealer would be well over $100 and the prices I got from AZ and ABC were around $30. I want to make the best decision when buying from these nationwide stores.

One more thing, how vital is replacing the tensioner(s)? They seem to be the most expensive part at around $70.

Last edited by bustum; 04-11-2012 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:09 PM

did you look at the link I sent you?
I spent some time writing that and locating the parts for you.
If you are just going to disregard information I provide then I will not bother responding any further.

I gave you a goodyear timing belt kit with tensioners for $37 shipped to you.

It is the same kit I am running in my car. I paid $17 for a water pump at Car Craft

Last edited by crispin; 04-11-2012 at 01:59 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 94 Accord Ex loosing coolant - timing cover or lifters?