General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord ex major problems ?????

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 09:52 AM
Default 94 accord ex major problems ?????

hey everyone im new on here and i just bought a honda accord its a 94 ex and first it was overheating but all i did was hit the drivers side fan a few times and it turned on so it hasnt overheated since ? weird but now a few weeks later my speedometer stopped working im going to swap out the vss sensor this weekend but the major prob is when i turn the ac on i hear this crazy loud noise and i looked towards the compressor and i seen like sparks flying from the pully down there what is that about? and also i got the abs light on and after driving about 10 mins check engine light turns on?

Old 09-01-2009, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like your AC compressor is seized, and when you turn on the AC it's shredding the belt. Deal with that or get a belt from an Accord DX to bypass the compressor. You don't want to lose the alternator...

Also sounds like your fan is on the way out. If it quits & comes back by hitting the fan, then probably the motor is almost shot.

The VSS would trigger that check-engine light. But maybe other things too, so you should jumper the SCS connector & read the error codes.

Old 09-01-2009, 12:01 PM

yeah cause the check engine light just started coming on the vss sensor went out like a week ago i just havent replaced it yet but i still want to run ac so how can i fix this problem? and how do i jumper the scs connector

Old 09-01-2009, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator

For a good explanation look in the DIY section for a post about something like "checking CEL codes". The SCS connector is a blue plastic plug (under glovebox?) that's not plugged into anything. Short it's 2 wires with a paperclip, then turn the key to the ON position. The CEL will begin blinking a code with long flashes (10) & short flashes (1).

So 1 long & 7 short = 17 which is for the VSS.
long pause then next code.
post back & tell us what you get.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:25 PM

alright got that part im gonna do that today after work but for my ac problem what should i do when i turn the ac on a loud noise comes with it i took a look yesterday and it i seen like sparks coming from the ac pully i beleive what can i do to fix this problem i need ac its hot in texas lol ?

Old 09-01-2009, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

There's 2 possibilities.

If the AC compressor is seized, the only fix is a new compressor. But it probably spit parts into the AC system, so it's likely that you'll need a new receiver/dryer, maybe other parts too. I'm not really too much an AC expert, so I hope someone will chime in.

If the compressor & AC system is OK, it might be "only" the compressor clutch that's bad. You might be able to replace that without opening the actual AC system. I think that's not likely because a bad clutch should just slip instead of engaging. You don't hear stories of sparks when the problem is just the clutch.

Old 09-01-2009, 04:54 PM

yeah i dont know what it could be it just did it out of nowhere all of a sudden but it still blows air but now its just hot air coming through the vents so i dont know what it could be? anybody???

Old 09-01-2009, 05:05 PM
Super Moderator

I would try to turn the a/c clutch plate by hand (when the car is not running). The plate is outside of the pulley. It should turn with some resistance, because you are compressing the gas. If it does turn, then the compressor hasn't seized.

Old 09-02-2009, 08:42 AM

ok cause yesterday i turned on the ac and the car shuts off so then i started it up and held the gas down a little bit to keep acceleration up and then i seen smoke so when i shut the car off i ran out and looked down at the compressor and the pully i beleive on the compressor was red hot so is it safe to say i need a new compressor lol

Old 09-02-2009, 08:43 AM

oh and i check the codes for the check engine and i got one long blink and 7 short ones so that equals 17 correct so it is the vss that went causing my speedometer to not work right?

Quick Reply: 94 accord ex major problems ?????