General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord ex vtech rough idle after timing belt replace

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Angry 94 accord ex vtech rough idle after timing belt replace

ok i baught a 94 accord ex 2.2 v-tech timing belt went out so i got it cheap relaced timing belt and balance shaft belt . started the car to c how it ran all went good for the first 25 miles then it started missing noticed the fuel pressure reg was leaking so 200k on it i changed fuel injectors and regulator did complete tune up p/w/c/r ff still ran irratical pulled plug wires to check for change in idle number 2&3 cycleders no change or verry minor change so i pulled plugs checked for spark spark was good but plugs were black and suity so i changed egr and cleaned ports notice better idle but still misses little bit until it hits 1500 rpm put it in gear dies out starts up smells flooded now im at a complete loss oh yeah had to change exhaust manifold cause it was cracked at the base were 1&4 come together any sugestions and no cel light or codes

Last edited by ed-turbo; 12-05-2012 at 06:24 PM. Reason: forgot to add information
Old 12-05-2012, 07:10 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Check compression of all the cylinders and report back. Gen 5 accords have interference motors meaning if the timing belt breaks. There is 90% chance of messing up the head. There isn't enough clearance between the valve and piston when valve is fully open and piston is TDC ( top dead center). They smash into each other. Maby belt a valve. How the HP and torque output?

Old 12-06-2012, 06:40 PM
Default re compression check

ok compression is 147 plus or minus 3 psi across the board of course its cyl 2-3 that r lower did a pressure test to listen for air from intake and exhaust and compression faded 5 psi every 3 min heard no air leaks i used a scope to listen up close did it with valve cover off better safe than sorry so im stuck again

Old 12-06-2012, 06:43 PM

is it possible to put a 95 ex non v tech in this without changing the trans????????????? u know plugs in the back instead of the front like mine

Old 12-06-2012, 06:44 PM

hp and torqe decent but takin off is slugish until about 2000 rpm than shes ***** all out

Old 12-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

You might want to check your valve clearances. If some are way off, then you could assume that some damage occurred to the valves when the timing belt broke.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

that compression is a bit low, should be in the 180-190 range, more than likely some damage was done when the belt broke.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:37 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by ed-turbo
hp and torqe decent but takin off is slugish until about 2000 rpm than shes ***** all out
One thing I have ran into in a situation like this is to double check your timing. You can be one tooth off and it will display similar symptoms. From the description I would guess you're one tooth advanced. I have had them one tooth retarded before and they will run great up until about 2000 RPM and then fall on their face. Good luck with it and let us know what you find.

Old 12-07-2012, 06:53 PM

My wife's car did same thing 2 weeks ago. She didn't get so lucky, bent some valves.
I tried to do a belt a year ago and could not get that crank bolt off. Had to use my special crank holder tool and broke 6 extensions.

Worked at honda for years and never had one that tight.

Old 12-09-2012, 05:14 PM

well her it is when the belt broke bent two exhaust valves one in each cylender y im not sure however i pulled the head and didnt c any marks at all on the pistons pulled the camshaft filled the the valves with water and yes it poured out fast although the valve looked seated it was bent just enough to bleed out went to king road junkyard found a head still in thae car timin belt looked a little wore so i pulled it off just to find that the head was reconditioned new valves, gaskets i was shocked to find that put it on today and bam runs like brand new no noises awsome power thanks guys for all ur help u got my gears turnin and thanks alot awsome im a GM guy and u get one have problems let me know ill help u out

Quick Reply: 94 accord ex vtech rough idle after timing belt replace