General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Accord hard to start cold

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Default 94 Accord hard to start cold

I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX that has a difficult time starting when cold. It cranks fine. Once it starts it runs fine (maybe a slight misfire - feels like a very minor stumble). If I shut it off and re-start, it starts right up.

I replaced:
Spark Plugs
Rotor
Distributor Cap
Valve Cover Gasket (including spark plug wells - had some oil in the wells from accidentally leaving the oil filler cap off).
Oxygen Sensor (had a code for this).

Also recently had the fuel filter replaced.

My thought is maybe there is some moisture in the distributor (we had to drive it through flood water around our house about 6 weeks ago) but I'm not sure that's it.

Hoping someone might have an idea - thanks!

Old 06-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Super Moderator

When you say it cranks fine, does that mean the starter is cranking the engine like it normally does?

Also, get into the habit of listening for the fuel pump to turn on for about 2 seconds when you first turn the key to the II position (don't try to start). It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat. If you don't hear that noise when it doesn't start, let us know.

What spark plugs did you use in your car?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:53 AM

Yes the starter cranks like normal.

I typically do listen for the fuel pump and it has always been hard to hear in this car - I'll enlist some help to make sure I can hear it.

I used Bosch spark plugs.

I also went to test the coolant temp sensor (by unplugging it and trying to start the car) to see if it was bad and while I did that I noticed something that seemed of concern. The wire in this photo was barely connected and I can't tell if it's a sensor that someone jerry-rigged or something else. It's on the passenger side of the engine just below the distributor and between 2 coolant temp sensors (I think). Can you tell what this is?

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord hard to start cold-0610000620a.jpg  

Last edited by natedbrbr; 06-10-2010 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Added additional info
Old 06-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Lots of people have had troubles with Bosch plugs. Honda seems to like NGK the best.

OTOH, I used Bosch before I learned about that, & they were OK on my Integra.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

The sender/sensor is the "Water temp sender" (I havent' read/figured out how to attach pic's yet so you're one up on me). not sure if this is the true Honda oe number 37750-PH2-014. It works for Worldpac.....

Old 06-10-2010, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
When you say it cranks fine, does that mean the starter is cranking the engine like it normally does?

Also, get into the habit of listening for the fuel pump to turn on for about 2 seconds when you first turn the key to the II position (don't try to start). It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat. If you don't hear that noise when it doesn't start, let us know.

What spark plugs did you use in your car?
I had my wife turn the key to the II position while I stuck my head under the car near the back...I didn't hear any sound from the fuel pump. Does that indicate a bad relay or is it more likely a faulty fuel pump (I replaced the Main Relay a little over a year ago so I would suspect the latter)?

Old 06-10-2010, 09:26 PM
Super Moderator

That picture of the temperature sender... That's for the dashboard temperature gauge and shouldn't have anything to do with starting or running.

The other one in the picture (green 2-wire plug) is the temperature sensor for the fuel injection.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by natedbrbr
I had my wife turn the key to the II position while I stuck my head under the car near the back...I didn't hear any sound from the fuel pump. Does that indicate a bad relay or is it more likely a faulty fuel pump (I replaced the Main Relay a little over a year ago so I would suspect the latter)?
I went back out to look further and noticed that the Check Engine light comes on and stays on. I put a jumper in the service connector and it isn't throwing any codes so I'm wondering if the ECU is fried. My truck fried an ECU once because of a bad sensor I didn't get taken care of soon enough and I'm wondering if that's what happened here...

Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

Jim,

I think the green connector is Temp Sensor B. The one with the black connector is the coolant temp sensor that the ECU uses.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

Make sure you jumped that connection properly. The first time I did it, I jumped the side without the pins. I needed a bright light to see it. Also make sure you jump the 2-pin connector.

Your check engine light should stay lit up if you have the key in the II position and no codes are stored.

Here is a good site with instructions, just to make sure you followed all of the steps: dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Quick Reply: 94 Accord hard to start cold