General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord lx MY IDLE IS GOING UP AND DOWN AFTER CLEANING THROTTLE BODY

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Default 94 accord lx MY IDLE IS GOING UP AND DOWN AFTER CLEANING THROTTLE BODY

i decided to clean my throttle body with some throttle cleaner, i cleaned it until it was nice and clean i turned it on with out the vacum connected and reved a lil, blue smoke was coming out from the tail pipe, i put everything back on and now my idle is going up and down only in park, and in gears my idle stays a lil over 1000, my friend had told me that its normal it takes a while for it to go back to normal??[&:]

Old 12-23-2007, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 accord lx MY IDLE IS GOING UP AND DOWN AFTER CLEANING THROTTLE BODY

I would pull the radio fuse (7.5 amp) in the underhood fuse box to reset the ECU, so it can relearn your idle settings.

Old 12-23-2007, 12:43 PM
Default RE: 94 accord lx MY IDLE IS GOING UP AND DOWN AFTER CLEANING THROTTLE BODY

but is it normal for the car to rev on its own after cleaning the throttle body, I didnt remove the throttle body from the other piece thas noccected to i just removed the intake vacum

Old 12-23-2007, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Did you scrub out the throttle plate area with a steel wire brush?
What might have happened, is some crud broke loose in the air passages and is sticking in the IACV.
Might be worth the effort to pop it off and blast it out with carb cleaner and compressed air.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:41 PM

blue smoke = burning oil.

the idle problem after a thottle cleaning is most likely a disconnected vacuum line. check that all the vacuum lines are secure since you disturbed the intake tubing which has vacuum lines secured to it.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:22 PM

The smoke might be the burning of the hydrocarbons in the throttle body cleaner you sprayed into the plenum (so the engine will briefly run effectively as if it were rich because of excess burning hydrocarbons i.e. cleaner plus petrol). There's also probably carbon from the muck you cleaned out of the throttle body coming out the exhaust pipe.

Old 12-30-2007, 01:25 AM

it's possible...but i've usually seen black smoke from throttle cleaning, or white smoke. our shop recently started using a valvoline fuel system cleaner(liquid drip, injector additive and throttle cleaning. the car smokes WHITE for 10-15 minutes after...i don't like it. [>:]

Old 12-30-2007, 04:29 AM

What about; if the inside of the plenum were caked in half dried up oil from being sprayed with oil from the crank breather hose for years, the cleaner could have softened this to the point that it's slowly running off the plenum walls into the cylinders?? Just thinking out loud, might be barking up the wrong tree.

Old 12-30-2007, 12:22 PM

i hear ya man! forum = theory while real life =practice. it's very difficult to try and fix some things without being in front of the car watching it react to you actions. lots of good info

Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

Did you check your brake booster hose?

Quick Reply: 94 accord lx MY IDLE IS GOING UP AND DOWN AFTER CLEANING THROTTLE BODY