General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Accord VTEC Solenoid Valve Leak

Old 11-28-2015, 10:23 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 94 Accord VTEC Solenoid Valve Leak

My VTEC solenoid valve is definitely leaking. I've isolated the leak to the solenoid (top) itself. I rebuilt the motor this past summer and replaced the spool valve o-ring/filter (head side). Not sure whether I changed the figure 8 o-ring which seals off the solenoid (top) but I checked it and it seems to be in good shape. Here's where it gets interesting. There is oil at the electrical connector which goes to the solenoid which sits ABOVE the solenoid valve. This means that oil is either wicking or actually being pumped up the plastic sleeve around the wire to the connector. If this is the case, it seems there must be an internal defect in the solenoid itself which is allowing pressurized oil to enter the cable. Given this, it seems a gasket change will not fix anything and I need to replace at least the solenoid switch itself. I've also heard that there is some sort of piston seal in the valve itself that can go bad. Perhaps this could also be happening and sending oil to the solenoid went it shouldn't. Then I would have to replace the whole valve assembly. The car has 330,000 miles on it so even though I've heard folks say these valves never go bad, they are mechanical and must wear in some way. Anybody with similar experience with these valves out there? Thanks!

Old 11-28-2015, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

I agree, if the oil is getting THROUGH the solenoid into the wire/plug, then you have to replace the solenoid. If the figure-8 O-ring were bad, it would leak out there at the triangle flange.

Old 11-28-2015, 11:08 AM
Super Moderator

Me, I'd replace the top o-ring and the one on the pressure switch and see what you have from there.

Had a 95 EX where it went the other way. The top o-ring gave out (~340K ), I replaced it and about two weeks later the one from the solenoid to the head gave out. Replaced it and never had any issues with leaks from there again???

Old 11-28-2015, 08:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Going the cheap route first

I decided to replace the top O-ring and see if that fixes the problem. Not sure if I replaced the o-ring before and when I went to pull it off it broke into three pieces so apparently not. Fingers crossed.

Old 11-28-2015, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Let us know how it turns out.

Old 12-21-2015, 06:53 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Upate on O-ring replacement on VTEC solenoid valve leak

Good news. The o-ring changeout fixed the problem!
Now if I can just get my idle smoothed out I'm golden.

Old 12-21-2015, 11:55 AM
Super Moderator

Go through the "BASE idle" setting procedure.
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...e-speed-38734/

Old 02-07-2016, 03:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default same issue, reference pics

Wish these links don't expire, esp with these classic vehicles getting more antique each year.

Vtec Solenoid Oil Leak - Honda-Tech

Been having the same problem, took me a while to identify this component, having to search images online to match up. Hopefully the two gaskets for the assembly fix the leak. The solenoid is at least $100 for OEM.

Anyway, here are my shots of this elusive vtec solenoid. At first, all I saw from a glance at the engine compartment was oil that seemed to come up through the gray electrical component in the first pic. I had no idea this was part of the solenoid until I searched random images of 'Honda accord oil leak,' since I had no idea of the name of the part itself. The second shot tries to show where this attaches on the cylinder head (as viewed from the passenger side looking towards the driver side). The third pic shows that I had taken apart the thermostat housing and a bunch of other air intake and lines, just to get the lower bolts (viewed from the passenger side looking towards the front, somewhat at an angle). Getting the thermostat housing is a pain just to access its bolt towards the firewall. That meant dealing with coolant. Thank heaven all of this work was all part of the coolant/radiator/hoses/distributor cap/rotor/o-ring/...water pump replacements that meant quite a job, but was all necessary.

Wish I had better shots. It's still not fully reassembled so I might re-edit to add more.

Attached Thumbnails 94 Accord VTEC Solenoid Valve Leak-wp_20160204_002.jpg   94 Accord VTEC Solenoid Valve Leak-wp_20160204_004.jpg   94 Accord VTEC Solenoid Valve Leak-wp_20160130_018.jpg  

Last edited by According2You; 02-07-2016 at 03:40 PM. Reason: more pics, clarity of description