General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 accord wont start

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2013, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

That is an awful lot of codes. I would think that CEL-3 and 15 would cause starting problems.

I list the codes as sensor problems, but it could be the wiring or the ECU. If you have a U-pull-it junkyard near you, I would consider getting used parts if you decided to start throwing parts at it.

Was any work done on this car previously?

The CEL-17/D4-4 are both indicating a problem with the vehicle speed sensor. This wouldn't cause the car to not start.

CEL-3 is the MAP sensor and CEL-7 is the TPS sensor. You do have them plugged in properly.

CEL-15 is for the ignition signal.

Here are some basic tests.

Unplug the map sensor, turn the key to the II position. Measure the voltage between the yel/wht wire and ground. You should get ~5V.

Unplug the TPS and do the same voltage test on the yel/blu wire.

Also, remove the bolt for G101. Clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or sandpaper. That is an important ground. It is located on the side of the upper intake manifold (driver's side of it to be more exact). See pic below.

Attached Thumbnails 94 accord wont start-pahonda-5547-albums-pics-2243-picture-g101-6236.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
Just me but can you tell us more about the sprak and how it was tested? Was it a good/nice blue spark?

Have you tried to spray carb cleaner into the TB - Open the butterfly and give it a good 5 sec shot of cleaner. Then try to start the car?

Also, just me but you have the initial codes. Clear them. Try starting the car and then re-check the codes. Which is any come back?
I checked the spark with a inline spark checker at the distributer and the spark was strong it lit the spark checker up bright . I have also sprayed carb cleaner in the tb ( more than 5 sec) and still wont start . the codes I gave you are the ones that I pulled from the car after the starting problem started . call me a noob but doesn't the car have to run to be able to get new codes. not being a smart alec just thought that was sthe way it worked

Old 08-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
That is an awful lot of codes. I would think that CEL-3 and 15 would cause starting problems.

I list the codes as sensor problems, but it could be the wiring or the ECU. If you have a U-pull-it junkyard near you, I would consider getting used parts if you decided to start throwing parts at it.

Was any work done on this car previously?

The CEL-17/D4-4 are both indicating a problem with the vehicle speed sensor. This wouldn't cause the car to not start.

CEL-3 is the MAP sensor and CEL-7 is the TPS sensor. You do have them plugged in properly.

CEL-15 is for the ignition signal.

Here are some basic tests.

Unplug the map sensor, turn the key to the II position. Measure the voltage between the yel/wht wire and ground. You should get ~5V.

Unplug the TPS and do the same voltage test on the yel/blu wire.

Also, remove the bolt for G101. Clean the bolt and eyelet with a wire brush or sandpaper. That is an important ground. It is located on the side of the upper intake manifold (driver's side of it to be more exact). See pic below.

thank you Honda there is a pull a part about 45 min from my house I will try the ground wire cleaning and post my results

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

The ECU will detect certain problems even if the car won't start.

One thing you can try is to pull the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute. That will clear all codes. Try starting the car, then recheck the codes. That may narrow down the problem. It is a simple test that won't take much time.

Old 08-21-2013, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spsweet
yes the check engine light did come on before the starting problems. I shut the car off and restarted it it started fine so I shut it back off. went to start it the following day and it wouldn't start. there was a code for the d4 as well it was 4. the wire colors are tps= yellow with black stripe, red with black stripe , green with black stripe.
Map= Yellow with white stripe, Green with white stripe,
white with yellow stripe
Although, all the wire colors you listed don't match the 92-93 Accord circuit diagram, it looks like you may have the TPS and MAP sensor connectors mixed up. (See attached pic.)

Attached Thumbnails 94 accord wont start-map-tps.jpg  
Old 08-21-2013, 10:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

pulled fuse and no codes

Old 08-21-2013, 10:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Although, all the wire colors you listed don't match the 92-93 Accord circuit diagram, it looks like you may have the TPS and MAP sensor connectors mixed up. (See attached pic.)

94 accord if it makes a diff

Old 08-21-2013, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by spsweet
94 accord if it makes a diff
I saw 1992 (missed the part it was a Civic) near your forum name. Okay.

Just checked the 1994 circuit diagram, your TPS and MAP connectors are okay.

94: TPS - Yel/Blu, Red/Blk, and Grn/Blu
94: MAP - Wht/Yel, Yel/Wht, and Grn/Wht

Attached Thumbnails 94 accord wont start-94-tps-map.jpg  

Last edited by redbull-1; 08-21-2013 at 11:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:13 PM
Super Moderator

So there are no codes even after trying to start the car?

Did you ever measure the voltage on those wires I suggested before?

Old 08-21-2013, 11:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

no codes after trying to start the car ... and no I haven't tried to check those curcuits yet I have to wait till tomorrow to get my hands on a tester

Quick Reply: 94 accord wont start