General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 a/c compressor doesnt engage

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

First of all, you can enter multiple lines into a reply.

If you have 12V on one of the wires at the pressure switch, and you have ground on the other wire, check the pins of the actual switch. They should be a closed circuit (~0 resistance when you probe the two pins on the sensor at the same time).

Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Checked pressure switch it 0 resistance. Still trying to get dash panel out to check ac switch. I don't know how to check thermostat, need help with that. No I don't have a wiring diagram.

Was looking at other posts and found how to jump thermostat unpluged it, jumped blured to bluyel fans came on but no compressor car was running

Just checked blkyel wire going to thermostat had 12v

Just checked blue yellow going to thermostat only had .5v and bluered did not have continuity to ground

Last edited by PAhonda; 04-18-2013 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

You can download a 94 shop manual as a pdf. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to online shop manuals. The honda-tech site has the manual. That is the wiring diagram I am using.

At the pressure switch, you had 12V on the red/wht wire. Did you have ground on the blu/yel wire? Key should be in the II position when testing.

The next test is at the thermostat. That blu/yel wire should have 12V. The blk/yel should have 12V. The blu/red wire should have ground.

Let us know what you find.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Pressure switch wires were good
Thermostat wires: blkyellow had 12v
Blue yellow had less than 1v
Blue red no continuity to ground
Jumped blue red to blue yellow fans came on but no compressor

Old 04-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Rechecked thermostat wires same results blue red showed 275 on volt meter when I checked for continuity

Old 04-18-2013, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Did you remember to reconnect the electrical connector to the pressure switch when testing at the thermostat.

What has me really confused is that there will be ground at the blu/red wire at the thermostat, if there was ground at the blu/yel wire at the pressure switch.

Explain how you are testing for ground.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:34 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Pressure switch was connected to harness
I used continuity setting on volt meter to test for ground used tube going across behind dash and also tried cig lighter.....both worked when I checked for 12v on other two wires.

Old 04-18-2013, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Is the heater blower working?

Lack of 12V at the red/wht suggests AC diode may be open. This is path for ground to the relays which drive the condensor and radiator fans. AC diode is on left kick panel inner wall.

There should be ground on the blu/red wire. Since fans run when you jumped AC thermostat (blu/red to blu/yel), ground must be available, so AC thermostat is open. This suggests faulty ac thermostat.

But AC compressor should have engaged when you jumped the thermostat. ECM is denying ground to AC compressor relay, why? Suggest reseting ECM by pulling BackUp fuse for 20 secs to see if this helps.

Again, a download manual will make things a lot clearer.

good luck

Old 04-18-2013, 06:52 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I have 12 v on red white to pressure switch
Witch fuse is the back up fuse
I looked at a wiring diagram from another post, I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I can't understand wiring diagrams very well.
If u r willing to call me email me through the site and I will give u my number

Last edited by PAhonda; 04-18-2013 at 10:34 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:54 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

BackUp fuse is fuse 39 in under hood fuse box. It's the inside/rear corner fuse. It should be labeled on fuse cover.

AC diode is OK.

Suggest jumping blu/yel to blu/red as you did earlier. ECM should ground ac compressor relay and cause compressor to run.

good luck

Quick Reply: 94 a/c compressor doesnt engage