General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 honda accord EX TCM issue??

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 11:19 AM
Default 94 honda accord EX TCM issue??

Alright so this is whats going on.

My 94 accord was shifting roughly (revving between gears and having a hard time finding them sometimes), so i drained the tranny fluid and replaced with the delron fluid it calls for. Now, my car won't move. If i short the circuit to pull codes here's what i come up with

Check engine code - 12
D4 code - 15
ABS codes (dunno if these are important or not, but i figured everything might help) - 4, 8

Also, i reset the TCM, and can put it into reverse when this happens. Reverse seems to work fine, but when i attempt to engage drive, it MIGHT engage, but usually doesnt. and when it does engage, i can only drive it about 500 feet before it revs again and i need to drive it in reverse to get back to the house.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated, and i know people post stuff about this all the time but its hard to find specific info and WAY too time consuming right now.

Thanks!
Foppy

Old 10-15-2009, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

The transmission code 15 is a problem the main-shaft speed sensor.

Check that the electrical connection is clean and tight on that sensor.

You can download a 94 shop manual from the online manual link in the DIY section for specific details on troubleshooting the transmission fault code.

Old 10-21-2009, 03:31 PM

so i checked the sensor, looked ok, it wasnt too dirty at all. connection looked fine.

picked up a new one, installed it and same issue.

Called the honda dealer and talked to a tech, he suggested i check the transmission strainer screen and clean it out, because it sounds like something is clogging it up.

one issue... i dont see the effing pan to drop and i dont think its a traditional lower pan like other vehicles. is it the right side cover i need to take off?

any help would really be appreciated... im at wits end with this thing... haha

Old 10-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

I just want to double check which sensor did you check, because there are several sensors?

I attached a pic of their locations. The mainshaft speed sensor looks like it is under the battery.

Attached Thumbnails 94 honda accord EX TCM issue??-transsetup.jpg  
Old 10-21-2009, 04:41 PM

i did the mainshaft speed sensor. it was in fact located under the battery, and the new sensor was identical to the old one. It was what code 15 gave me to try out.

new development is...
when i reset my TCM by pulling the fuse under the hood, it will no longer shift into reverse at all as it had done before. so now i cant get it to move whatsoever, and it feels like its stuck in neutral.

i really cant afford to get a new tranny, let alone purchase a new car, so im really hoping i wont have to.

thanks for the quick reply PAhonda

Old 10-21-2009, 04:47 PM
Super Moderator

Why don't you recheck the code(s) stored on the TCU now that you reset it.

You may want to go through the diagnostic tree with a volt meter if the code 15 reappears.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:51 PM

i tried re-checking the codes already, my D4 code isnt coming up at all now, and the only one throwing a code is the ABS light, still codes 4 and 8.

this sucks. :-D haha. i'm tryin not to get too frustrated but its very tough...

anything else i can try? i feel like my tranny is shot and that would really suck. just odd that it was shifting and everything before the tranny fluid was swapped and now it wont shift whatsoever...

Old 10-21-2009, 05:05 PM

maybe i should check the solenoids and see if they're still working or plugged up or something? im just looking at a troubleshooting guide and thats one thing that sounded like it could help me.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

You can check and clean out the solenoids. Maybe adjust the shift cable. Also check that the shift cable is actually changing the gears on the transmission.

When was the last time you changed the transmission fluid? Most techs on here suggest to use the Honda ATF.

A code 4-8 for ABS is a problem with the rear driver's side wheel sensor. Check that the pickup isn't covered in grease and that it the bolt holding it down isn't loose. You can unplug the connector and measure the resistance (600-900 ohms) to make sure it isn't shorted.

The other code (check engine 12) is for the EGR valve. Usually its the ports on the intake manifold that get plugged up. Pretty simple DIY.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:27 AM

pulled off the solenoids yesterday... they were clean as a whistle...

makes me wonder if there is a plug up in one of my lines or something thats causing the transmission not to engage correctly. I was looking at adjusting the shift cable and it looks like more of a job than i might be ready or have time to tackle at the present. and like i said, it seems weird to me that it was shifting between all the gears prior to the fluid swap and now it wont move. I dont know, just irritating i guess.

I'm going to try to figure out the DIY on adjusting the cable and re-assess whether i think i can get it myself or not.

oh, and to answer your question about the transmission fluid and wheni last changed it...
I have had this car for about 25000 miles and havent done it until now, and it was my parents car before me, and im pretty sure they didnt change it either, so its been a long long while (i know, not good)

any other ideas? :-D anyone? haha

Quick Reply: 94 honda accord EX TCM issue??