General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

94 Honda Accord Occasionally Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2006, 06:53 PM
2ManyHondas
Unregistered
Default 94 Honda Accord Occasionally Won't Start

Okay, for the past year or two, my 1994 Honda Accord EX 4-cyl 4dr. Automatic with 105k has had a rather intermittent starting problem. When the car would be run, let sit for a few hours, driven just a few miles down the road, and turned off again, it wouldn't want to start again. It would sit there and crank and crank forever, all access. would work fine, it just took a few minutes to catch. However, over the past few months, it has gotten progressivelly worse, and now when I leave it sitting in the parking lot at work all day (8hrs.) it often will not start. I'm not sure if this is related, but the car has been driven MUCH more over the past few months than it ever has (400 mi/week mostly hwy vs. maybe 100 mi/week in town avg., and we've owned it since new). I have read the posts on tegger.com, and I found one that sounds almost exactly like what is going wrong with my car. http://www.gcw.org.uk/rover/igniter.htm#userreport
In the paragraph right below the picture of the car, he describes almost exactly what was happening to my car. Do you think that the author means that cleaning the distributor cap cleared up the starting issue, or that it mearly masked it for awhile until bigger problems cropped up? For the record, my car has never cut out or stalled out or anything of that nature after it gets running.
If anyone can contribute an educated response that would help me solve my problem, I would greatly appreciate it.

Matthew

Old 08-02-2006, 07:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 94 Honda Accord Occasionally Won't Start

main relay.....check the soldering points....there is a write up about it in our diy section. good luck and please let us know the solution of the problem

Old 08-02-2006, 09:15 PM

it is the main relay but its not the connection. in 90-94 accords they go bad. best thing to do is get it replaced. when its hot outside or the car has been driven for a while and the relay gets hot it shorts for some reason. ive talked to many people that had this problem and me and a honda tech buddy talked about it and the best thing to do is replace it.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:25 PM

you can replace it or you can just resolder it. the relay mechanism it self is most likely still fine. it actually is the connection thats the problem. there was a **** poor soldering job done on it originally. honda simply didnt source a product that could do the job indefinately.

if your soldering connections look like number 1, then it the main relay. if you can work a soldering gun, then your good as new

by the way this image is courtesy of deserthonda's diligence to this site....thanks desert!

Old 08-02-2006, 09:29 PM

sorry about that lightshow. we never got indepth about why it was screwd up. see thats why i love this forum.

Old 08-02-2006, 09:31 PM

what's that picture supposed to be??

Old 08-02-2006, 09:50 PM

lol that mfb of a site.

solder

Old 08-02-2006, 09:52 PM

ORIGINAL: 92Inspire

sorry about that lightshow. we never got indepth about why it was screwd up. see thats why i love this forum.

its all good.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:46 AM

I tend to agree that it is the main relay as well........but try this first

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/NO_...m_17302/tm.htm

if it is lack of fuel than try this

http://techauto.tripod.com/s.htm click on mai relay fix ........

Old 09-23-2006, 04:51 PM
2ManyHondas
Unregistered

Sorry to bring a Reeeeeeaaallly old post back up, but replacing the main relay Did cure the hot ambient temp. start problem. Thank You to all of you that helped out!

Quick Reply: 94 Honda Accord Occasionally Won't Start