General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 Honda shows overheating, but it's not hot

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Default 94 Honda shows overheating, but it's not hot

I have a 94 Accord EX SOHC AT 2.2L. When the car is cold and I start it, after about 25 seconds, the temp gauge goes to full hot. I read that the sending unit could be bad and the way to test this theory is by unplugging the connector to it - if the sender is bad then the gauge will go back down to cold. I did this and the gauge did return to cold so I went ahead and bought a new one. Well, is still doing the same thing. I also read a post talking about this situation that said: "You either have a bad sensor or an open or disconnected wire from the guage to the sensor. Probably a bad sensor. The guage is a bridge circuit that goes to full hot when the resistance of the sensor or sensor wire goes high. So if the lead is open or not connected or the sensor is bad, the guage will go to full hot. You can test the wire to the sensor by shorting the wire at the sensor to ground. If it is the sensor, the temperature will drop to minimum." I want to make sure that there are no problems with the wire itself , so will shorting it determine if it is something with the wire/connector itself as opposed to the sending unit? What is the technique for shorting the wire? I guess after I determine all this, I'll know it is the gauge itself. I have also heard mention of checking a relay, but which one to check and how? If it is the dashboard gauge itself, is there anyway to easily verify this, and is there a link on how to replace the gauge? I am hoping I won't have to replace the entire cluster.

Old 02-20-2007, 05:47 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 94 Honda shows overheating, but it's not hot

sounds to me like a bad gauge,, and you can replace it by itself no need to replace the whole instrument cluster, you need to remove the instrument cluster to replace the gauge
Ok to the nitty gritty. I do not know where you read the info that you wrote on your post but some of the infos in it are TOTALLY wrong

#1if you disconnect the wire at the sensor and temp gpes down ,, it could be a bad sending unit BUT also a bad gauge
# 2 ..(.So if the lead is open or not connected or the sensor is bad, the guage will go to full hot.)...... WRONG if there is an open in the wiring from the sensor to gauge,, the gauge WILL NOT read at all. the wire from the sensor supplies a ground to the gauge without it gauge will not move at all ..So, it is not an open or disconnected wire ..
If the wire is pinched to ground the gauge would read hot instantly but since you said it takes about 25 seconds or so, i am willing to bet that you got a bad gauge

Old 02-20-2007, 10:53 PM

Ok, it probably doesn't matter, but it timed it this time and when I crank the car after it sits overnight and is cold, it takes right at 50 seconds before it starts to rise to full hot. After that, I can kill the engine, crank again, and it goes to full hot immediately everytime. So this definitely sounds like a bad gauge? Can you or anyone lead me to a reasonably priced site that sells these? I tried looking around on the net for oem Honda parts, but most of them seem basically the same and I could not find any that had the temp gauge or gauge cluster listed. Also, if I can find a used cluster, will the temp gauge out of any Accord gauge cluster 94-97work for my 94 4DR EX?

Old 02-21-2007, 04:03 PM

Just replaced the thermostat, mainly because it needed a new one anyway, partially just to see if it would help - of course it didn't. Anyone have advice for my previous post to my previous post?Thanks.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:38 PM

ORIGINAL: bustum

Anyone have advice for my previous post to my previous post?Thanks.
I am sorry,, am i missing something ?? what kind of a diferent advice than the one i gave you ,do you need or wish to receive ,, ??
like i said it sure sounds like a BAD GAUGE ,,,

Old 02-21-2007, 04:52 PM

No I'm talking about the second post I made with the update and questions about whether or not the gauges out of any Accord 94-97 will work for my 94, and also a reasonable site where I can order the part. I beleive I can get a 97 gauge pod off Ebay, but I am not sure if it the temp guage is the same for all those year models.

Old 02-21-2007, 05:47 PM

OOOOOOOOOOps sorry for misinterpating your post.....

the 94-97 gauges should be the same but you got to make sure that both are built in the same country japan cars 94-97 will work american made cars 94-97 will works but not from an american car to a japan made car , i do not believe that you can interchange and make sure also they are the same modelas yours EX

Old 02-21-2007, 05:55 PM

not all/any guage will work but some will interchange, the guages itself should interchange just fine but not the whole cluster, click the honda parts warehouse link on the right and give them a call, I can't find the guage itslef, perhaps they can

Old 02-21-2007, 10:32 PM

Damn, the guy's gauge pod came out od an LX. So does that probably mean it won't work in mine. It was a darn good deal on the cluster.

Old 02-21-2007, 10:47 PM

wait a minute, the guy just wrote back saying that it is a 97 special edition.I googled and it seems that the SE has an F22B2 engine and mine is supposed to an F22B1. So will the temp gauges be interchangeable?

Quick Reply: 94 Honda shows overheating, but it's not hot