General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 lx dies after turning on

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
Default 94 lx dies after turning on

im thinking is something with the throttle body, wen i turn it of and wait 5m and try to turn it on again it wont, it just cranks or it will turn on but die in a sec, i pressed on the gas pedal while cranking and it turned right on, i have the throttle body sensor broken and its loose can that be the problem? any advice? this just happened today

Old 01-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 94 lx dies after turning on

try putting it back on tight and see what happens i guess, dont see how that could stop it from starting though.

Old 01-10-2008, 05:44 PM

when you pressed on the gas pedal did you go like half throttle or all the way down?

Also, what sensor is broken and by broken do you mean the plastic casing or what is wrong with it?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 PM

i just went have ways on the pedal, and the case is broken,the clip,the throttle sensor just slides right of, i also have that surging idle prob, can that be the cause?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:29 PM

half or full throttle enters clear flood mode. a bad tp sensor doesn't help your problem. you have a multitude or problems, fix them one at a time. first start with a new tp sensor. next, see if the starting problem is still there. if it isn't fix the surging idle.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:49 PM

how much are the tbs?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:50 PM

go take a look... I don't know off the top of my head...

www.hondaautomotiveparts.com

Old 01-10-2008, 07:30 PM

ok, thanks but my main concern is the starting issue, i wanna know wats causing this problem? i went outside to start up the car and it started fine , but at 2000 rpms and it stayed there for a good while then it started surging.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

I don't know if the throttle sensore is the problem. Is this the sensor that is on top of the TB (MAP sensor) or the one that is behind the TB against the firewall (throttle position sensor)?

Is your check engine light on? To find codes go to the DIY section under ACC 5th gen... and there is a link on that dhost page that has CEL instructions.

Old 01-11-2008, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Last time I checked, the Throttle Position Sensor was not a replaceable part on the throttle body; i.e. honda wants you to buy a new throttle body assy. In principle, it should be possible to replace this, but you would beon your own to adjust the new sensor. Probably something to do w/ pollution controls is why they ruled out replacement.

I've never had or read of anyone whose had a bad TPS, but it should be possible for it to cause a fault. There is a specific obd1 code (8)) for TPS. If you don't have this TPS may not be your problem.

TPS is on the throttle body linked to the throttle plate shaft.

A used throttle body from a salvage yard may be best bet. Check car-part.com for used parts near your zip.

good luck

Correction: Code 7 is Throttle Angle (or Position) Sensor. Code 8 is TDC sensor.

Quick Reply: 94 lx dies after turning on