General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

94 vs 90 timing belt proceedure

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 11:04 PM
Default 94 vs 90 timing belt proceedure

How different are theproceedures to change the Timing belt/Ballance shaft beltsbetween a 94 and a 90 accord? Want to try it on my own for my 1990 accord EX. Reading everything i can find. (Factorymanual, Haynes and every post i can locate) Found a step by step .pdf with pictures of a 94 being done. (F22B1 engine) It looks very similar. Any comments?

http://www.farinamotorsports.com/tech/mp.pdf

Also, any way to possitivly ID the part numbers for the seals? Lot's of referances to the generic names but Honda just calls them all "oil seals". Plan to order the parts thru Majestic. Crank shaft seal and ballance shaft seal are the 2 i can not possitivly ID.

Thank you.

Matthew

Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 94 vs 90 timing belt proceedure

They're both F-series engine, I would think they're very much the same procedure.

If you're gonna order the seals from Majestic, all you have to do it tell em what you want. If you order on the phone instead of on-line, all you need to know is what year & model, right?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:24 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Why not download a 90 or 91Accord manual from Online Manuals, DIY section? Several options for download. I agree they are very similar, but haven't compared step by step.

good luck

Old 05-06-2008, 09:43 AM

Thank you. I also just found this post which is going to be as much help.

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/m_2..._1/key_/tm.htm

How long should it take a first timer to do this? Open end question i realize but lets say the tools are available and i do not screw something up.

I did email Majestic about the seals but did not get much help beyond "they are in this diagram". Hope to get more help from them today.

The 91 manual on line skips alot of pages. It skips page 5-37 and 5-38 which are the end of the TB proceedure. The 91 suppliment does not have these. The on line 90 manual seams to have them all there but i was also looking for some "real" photo's so i know what i am going to see once i get in there.

Overall it seams like a straight forward job as long as i can get the bolts loose and the old seals out. The proceedure above has a few tips on aligning the pulleys.

Matthew

Old 05-06-2008, 06:43 PM

I would count on 6-8 hrs w/ breaks and lunch.

The key task of this job is loosening the harmonic balancer (crankshaft pulley) retaining bolt. It can be verrrrry tight and has caused myself and numerous others plenty of grief. A really good 1/2" air impact (500+ ft-lbs reverse torque). Air impact may take a lot of pounding to break the bolt loose, keep pounding for some time.Alternatively, the harmonic balancer restraint tool restrained w/ a sound 1/2" breaker bar and a 19-mm deep socket, a second 1/2" breaker barw/ cheater pipe extension. I needed about 4-ft leverageto break the bolt manually and I'm sure I can apply over 150 lbs force at the end of that cheater.

Lowering the engine slightly is essential to allow room for lower timing belt cover removal and installation.

The tensioner lock nut is best released w/ a 14mm closed end fitted from below and rapped w/ a hammer to break the nut loose. It is damn near impossible from above w/ an open or closed end.

Take your time and check manual frequently. It's easy to get in a hurry and miss something.

good luck

Old 05-06-2008, 09:18 PM

Thanks TexasHonda. I really apreciate the help from everyone here. Makes joe common feel like he can takle and suceed.

I do plan to purchase one of those tools to help break the crank pulley loose. Seams like $30 well spent in lue of fighting with an impact wrench.

Matthew

Old 05-07-2008, 07:05 PM

If you use the harmonic balancer restraint method, you will need 15-20" of extensions to bring the breaker bar/cheater pipe rotation plane outside the wheel well. Use a jack stand to support the extension right at the connection to the breaker bar. This frees you to use the business end of the cheater pipe w/o supporting the entire assy.

Let forum know how it goes.

good luck

Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 PM

Thanks again TexasHonda. Timing belt is certainly in my future. Probably take a few weeks to round up the parts. Will report back with succes or come begging for more advice.

You guys are all great to help out the backyard mechanic who still thinks they can work on there own car. My background is in old VW's where you can do anything with less then 10 tools. It is great to feal like i can still do things w/o paying someone.I am hoping this job will prepair me to tackly my wifes 04 Sienna down the road. Time will tell.

Matthew

Old 05-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Super Moderator

When you get the timing covers off, look at the timing marks to be sure you understand them. BEFORE you take off the belts. Seems like the people who have the most trouble are the ones who have already taken off the belt & NOW they're asking about how to line stuff up.

Old 05-08-2008, 09:14 AM

Note taken Jim. Hopefully with all i have read i will not blunder into something. Was talking to my local dealer last night and he gave me very much the same advice i got here.

It is amazing though the differances in dealer prices. Majestic is a great deal. My local dealers wanted twice as much for the tensioner pulleys. (Was toying with inspecting mine once apart and going to the dealer if i needed them.) I'm better off just ordering them.

Matthew

Quick Reply: 94 vs 90 timing belt proceedure