General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord A/c Compressor Noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 07:34 PM
Default 95 Accord A/c Compressor Noises

Ok so here's the story last year I had an issue with the stock compressor (clutch Lock). So I call the local pick a part and find a compressor compleat
And promptly replace it (the proper way I might add) So the spring is here and I turn the air on the system cools but the compressor or? Not sure? Begins to make noise under the hood like the clutch or the bearings are going bad? Any ideas? As I said I am Ac Guy the sytem was oil charged,evacuated and charge weighed in. If the clutch is bad is it worth doing or did I simply get a dud junk part that just sat to long on the shelf??
Thanks

Old 07-07-2014, 11:13 PM

What noise is it making? Like a roaring noise? If so could be the pulley bearing. Simple fix. Can you maybe record a video?

Old 07-09-2014, 12:08 AM

Had similar rattle noise on my 05 Accord and found out it was the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt on my V6. When the clutch kicked in on the AC compressor it would place a slight load on the tensioner pulley and create a rattle noise at idle. The dampener inside the tensioner pulley spring wears down to metal to metal contact and creates the rattle. Check www.gates.com and search Tensioner Pulley for a cool video. Stethoscope may confirm location of noise.

Old 07-09-2014, 12:13 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by azcosta
Had similar rattle noise on my 05 Accord and found out it was the tensioner pulley for the serpentine belt on my V6. When the clutch kicked in on the AC compressor it would place a slight load on the tensioner pulley and create a rattle noise at idle. The dampener inside the tensioner pulley spring wears down to metal to metal contact and creates the rattle. Check www.gates.com and search Tensioner Pulley for a cool video. Stethoscope may confirm location of noise.
A 95 doesn't have an auto-tensioner pulley like an 05.

Old 07-09-2014, 01:50 PM

Many people don't run the a/c in the winter where I live and the clutches tend to rust up a bit. Sometimes they free themselves and sometimes they won't. See the the clutch is free. If not it can be done either on the car without opening the system or you can take it out and make it easier to work on. Also try taking the drive belt off and spin it and listed for bearing noise and check it of play. Check the alternator and p/s as well since both belts will have to come off. You might find the noise is coming from someplace else.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:49 PM

Clutch seems to be working ok it's strange because the Ac functions perfectly untitled warms up. The clutch engages the compresser pumps as it should after the comp. is warm it begins to make a low growl?? Heck I made a recording of the noise but I'm not sure how to post it??? Anyone know how??
Thanks

Last edited by schoust; 07-10-2014 at 07:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 04:52 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Pull the belt and see if the compressor spins alright. I just had mine seize up out of no where. I bought a 37 inch 6 rib belt and bypassed the whole AC pump. My belt goes from the crank to the alternator. It's a cheap easy option if you can live without AC. If something major ever happens to the compressor

Old 07-14-2014, 06:30 PM

Ok so it's in the 80's today with ridiculous Humidity! Bottom line I need to repair the A/c on this thing. I believe the issue is clutch bearing or? I need to post this noise so someone who has had this happen can chime in here... Anyone know how to insert an Audio file into a thread? I have thought about doing this more than once on various different Forums but decided each time that hre was another way to get my point accross.
This time I would like to get this information so I can
Post up the sound and get an answer to both of these questions..

Old 07-15-2014, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by schoust
Ok so it's in the 80's today with ridiculous Humidity! Bottom line I need to repair the A/c on this thing. I believe the issue is clutch bearing or? I need to post this noise so someone who has had this happen can chime in here... Anyone know how to insert an Audio file into a thread? I have thought about doing this more than once on various different Forums but decided each time that hre was another way to get my point accross.
This time I would like to get this information so I can
Post up the sound and get an answer to both of these questions..
Just upload the video to youtube and post the link here.

Old 07-15-2014, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Best way to confirm clutch bearing was proposed by Jroxz and djk.

Pull the belt and rotate the clutch pulley by hand. You will be able to feel sandy, grinding vibration/noise if the clutch pulley bearing is bad. A good bearing is quiet and turns w/ a slight resistance (grease drag).

good luck