General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Accord D4 flashing and clicking noise from shift knob

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 12:07 AM
Default 95 Accord D4 flashing and clicking noise from shift ****

Ok well i am new to these forums so take it easy on me im trying to get used to this.
But my problem with my 95 accord is that whenever i start up the car in the cold mornings and i drive, my odometer does not work and the D4 on the dash cluster starts flashing. If i turn my car off the problem will go away sometimes.
The weird thing is that this issue only happens in the mornings when the car is cold. After it warms up and has been driven the odometer will start working and the D4 will stop flashing.
Does anybody know what this could be??

Also today i was power washing my engine bay and after i was finished i turned my car on and the rpms idled REALLY low like 100-200 than slowly goes up. I drove my car down the street and at start off the car would stall out a bit and than continue. i than turned it off and took out the keys. I started the car again and as soon as i pressed the brakes to shift from parking to drive, i hear a clicking noise coming from the gear shifter and it would not let me shift and move out of parking.

Someone please help these problems are very unusual to me and happened out of no where. thank you

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Okay a laundry list
First the speedo has a driver that pulses signals from the sensor on the top of the differential. That is a common problem and would cause the CEL as well.

2nd.... blasting water around the engine can cause spark loss from the dist and plug wires.

3rd; there is a shift lock solenoid under the center console that is controlled by the brake pedal switch.
There is also a key slot in the shifter console to allow you to shift
if the solenoid is malfunctioning. You should still have your foot on the brake when shifting though.

Old 01-11-2013, 02:48 PM

Well the engine lights doesn't turn on. And the flashing "D4" only happens rarely!

My real problem now is that my car keeps idling. When I start the car it'll idle very low. As I speed and than slow down my rpms jump up and down as I'm slowing down? I would attach a video if that helps

Old 01-11-2013, 03:20 PM
Super Moderator

Check for transmission codes by counting the flashes from the D4 light. See the common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum for a link to checking engine codes.

The code(s) should be saved, so you will be able to get the code even if the D4 light is not blinking.

Here is a video on how to do this as well:

Old 01-11-2013, 03:33 PM

here is the video to show how my rpms jump up and down

Old 01-11-2013, 03:34 PM

Thank you for that video. i will do that tomorrow and see what codes i get.

Old 11-16-2023, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by bryan hernandez
Thank you for that video. i will do that tomorrow and see what codes i get.
If anyone comes here and looks, it's most likely the speed sensor that is on the transmission. The pin inside is what tracks your odometer and will cause your odometer to not track and rpm jumping.