General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord - Engine runs rough at 1500 RPM

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 11:55 PM
Default 95 Accord - Engine runs rough at 1500 RPM

1995 Honda Accord EX, VTEC 2.2L, AT, 215000 miles.

I have searched the existing threads and couldn't find a solution. I'm new to posting threads so if I am doing something wrong here, please let me know.

PROBLEM: Engine runs rough between 1300 and 1600 RPM. When cold or warm. At idle or at any other RPMs the engine runs smooth and consistent. But, when driving (cold or warm) as soon as I hit about 1500 +/- the engine runs rough, kind of like stuttering. As soon as I go through this RPM range by accelerating, it smooths out. This is regardless of having a load on or off, such as the A/C, lights etc.

WORK I'VE DONE: Changed oil pump, changed water pump, replaced timing and balance belts, replaced alternator and p.s. belts, replaced balance gear and case, replaced entire a/c system (compressor, condenser, drier, evaporator, all pipes and hoses), replaced vtec pressure switch and gaskets, replaced oil sending unit, cleaned fuel injectors (replaced o-rings and cushions on each injector), replaced radiator, replaced fuel filter, checked all vacuum lines and found tear in pcv hose - replaced hose and installed new pcv valve, replaced distributor cover and rotor, replaced spark plugs and plug wires, rebuilt power steering pump, replaced valve cover gasket and oil pan gasket, replaced thermostat. All replacement parts including seals, o-rings, gaskets are Honda parts.

I'm kind of lost on this one and have not been able to diagnose the cause. There are no error codes and there are no fault indicator lights illuminated on the dash. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 09-19-2015, 07:40 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds more like an EGR issue - the part of doing this when cold does have me second guessing myself

I would check and clean the egr ports - there is a plate on the intake that you remove and clean the holes out. I'd also pull the erg valve - careful as one of the nuts that hold it is at a "funny" angle and you can round it off - and clean it and be sure the valve is closing all the way......while off clean the passage to the intake as well.

See what you have from there.

There could be other things with the egr as well - vac being applied when not needed because of a bad solenoid, vac hose connections not correct, ect.

PS - Welcome to HAF.....and I see you are just a bit south of me , I'm just north of Wake Forest

Old 09-19-2015, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Does engine miss noticeably or just sag (loss of acceleration) when passing this rpm range?

I agree EGR ports should be cleaned; easy job and may resolve problem, although as PM suggests, when engine is cold EGR flow should be disabled.

You should check EGR vacuum actuation line for vacuum availability with cold engine. It should have no vacuum when engine is cold.

Another possibility is stuck open EGR valve. This would account for poor cold engine and warm engine performance.

good luck

Old 09-20-2015, 03:23 PM

Thank you to poorman212 and TexasHonda for your help! Your suggestions fixed my problem. 95 Accord EX runs smooth as a top now.

1. Pulled fuel rail. 2. Removed baffle above EGR ports. All four ports were clogged solid with carbon. 3. The baffle was full of caked carbon. 4. Scraped carbon out of channels in the baffle and used choke cleaner. 5. Used a pick, shopvac and choke cleaner on the four ports. 6. Also pulled the EGR valve and cleaned that.

After reassembly, started it up, and ran smooth ... cold and warm, load and no load, thanks to both poorman212 and TexasHonda. Thanks again! This site, Honda Accord Forums, is outstanding!

Last edited by jfkjax; 09-20-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 09-21-2015, 06:58 PM
Super Moderator

No, THANK YOU! Those are the kinds of responses/end of the story we like to hear .

If you ever get bored and are in north Raleigh, I'll buy the first round of coffee.

Keep an eye on the injector area to be sure there are no fuel leaks...other than that we are glad you got it going.

Good luck.

Last edited by poorman212; 09-21-2015 at 07:09 PM.