General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 accord ex

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Default 95 accord ex

Turns over but no start!!!! Fuel is there, pump works and injectors are shooting it out the line, and i just replaced the distributor and coil and ignitor(ignition module)???//What else could it be????? I dont think im getting spark but I will double check!

Old 11-05-2010, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

There are a couple of things you can do. Hopefully you have a volt meter.

Are the maintenance items up to date, like spark plugs, dist. cap, and rotor?

Make sure you have spark plug wires on the correct posts on the distributor cap. Looking at the cap from the passenger side of the car, the order should be 1, 3, 4, then 2 going clockwise. The #1 wire should be plugged in at about the 7 or 8 o'clock position.

Check for error codes. See: dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Check for 12V on the blk/yel wire to body ground that goes to the distributor with the key in the II position. I think it is on the two pin connector going to it.

Use a timing light to test for spark on each wire. You can also pull off the spark plug wire and use an old spark plug to see if you have spark. See the tegger site referenced in one of the stickies at the top of the gen tech help forum.

Let us know what you find.

Old 11-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Well I already replaced the distributor,cap and rotor but when I turn the key foward the check engine light comes but doesnt go away maybe my ecu might be out?

Old 11-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Super Moderator

The check engine light turning on means that you have an error code stored on the ECU. Follow the dhost instructions I posted earlier to short that connector. You can use a thin paperclip or a piece of wire to short it. A long blink =10, short-1, so LLLS=41.

Let us know what code(s) you find.

Old 11-23-2010, 02:07 PM

Ok guys the code I found is 21.....Would this cause it not to start??? It just cranks over but doesnt start!!!!
VTEC Solenoid Valve defective circuit or unplugged / defective solenoid valve

Old 11-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Super Moderator

Spark at plugs, fuel at inject and inject are firing and it won't start? Weak coil, but that was replaced?

Timing belt is good?

Turn key on and the CEL never goes off. Have you tested the Main relay?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:44 PM
Default 95 ex

Yes I have replaced the whole distributor and everything in it came new!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Also a spark plug wont cause a car to not start just cause a misfire.
But yes the CEL doesnt go off when the key is foward and idk about the teeth on the timing belt but I know it is turning because everything else is?!?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:45 PM

Have not yet tested the main relay where is that located??

Old 11-24-2010, 01:36 AM
Super Moderator

Do you have spark? Do have 12V on the blk/yel wire that goes to the distributor with the key in the II position?

Old 11-24-2010, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

I HAVE had sparkplugs cause a non-start condition. They were fouled by flooding and they looked nice & clean. After I fixed the flooding, I didn't replace the plugs because they looked clean. Eventually in desperation (my wife calling me a cheapskate) I DID replace the spark plugs & it started right up.
YMMV