General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

95 Accord LX CEL 3,7,9

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 09:16 AM
Default 95 Accord LX CEL 3,7,9

Hi everyone, I have a 95 Accord LX 5 speed that has been driving me crazy. In normal city driving it hesitates a little and has a slight miss. Needless to say it doesn't accelerate very smoothly and it's in every gear. However, at highway speeds it does great. It will easily cruise down the highway at 50 mph and accelerate very well when I ask it to. It will cruise at 90mph with absolutely no problem. I've owned it for 3 years and have had this problem for about 2 years. I have cleaned the egr ports 3 times. First time I cleaned them they were all clogged. After cleaning it seemed to run a little better but for only about a week. The last 2 times they weren't that bad but I cleaned them anyway. The injectors are sealed tight and I made sure every time that everything was put back properly. I've never had a CEL but when I jumped out the OBD connector it comes up with 3,7 and 9. MAP sensor, TP sensor and CYP sensor. Could these sensors be causing this problem?

Other than this it runs great but I'm to the point of selling it and giving up on Honda if I don't figure out this annoying problem.

I would greatly appreciate any and all help to resolve this problem.

Thank you for your time.

Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

based on your symptoms, i'm leaning towards the MAP sensor first and then maybe the TPS. i'd clear the codes, drive it and see which one(s) come back.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Don't start replacing parts yet.

Along what DrD said, remove the 7.5 amp backup/radio fuse in the engine bay fuse box for a minute to clear the ECU.

Turn the key to the II position and pay attention to the check engine light. Does it turn on for about two seconds, then turn off?

Start the car and drive until the problem returns. Recheck the codes and post them on here. Also let us know if the check engine light turned on when the problem returns.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:51 PM

Thanks guys for your help. I was going to reset it today but ran out of time. I did remove the air filter just to see if any change and it actually did help a little. However, when I got in it tonight it seemed to be back where it was. The temperature has dropped here since this afternoon also. Seems to depend on temperature and humidity cuz it gets a little better sometimes then gets worse again. Mostly, it does better when the outside temp is between 50 and 70 degrees. I'll be putting a new air filter in tomorrow and will clear the codes.
I'll let you know what I find. Thanks!

Old 04-03-2013, 08:40 PM

Ok, I finally had time today to clear the codes. I drove it around town for 30 minutes and for the first 20 minutes it accelerated smooth as butter. Then it started to sputter ever so slightly between 1500-2000 rpm. It's not very much, just enough to get on your nerves. I even noticed the rattle I normally hear in my exhaust at certain rpm's was gone, briefly. Then it started to come back. I got it back home and checked for codes and had none. Should I drive it for a week or so and let it "relearn"? Is it possible when the egr ports were clogged in the past it caused it to give the codes and since I didn't reset it it was trying to compensate?
Oh, one more thing. I noticed in the past week or so when I start it cold I hear I hear a leak in the exhaust right around the manifold. I removed the heat shield and checked what I could see and didn't see any cracks. I'm thinking it may be around the flange that connects it to the exhaust. This has me thinking my converter could be starting to clog. I don't know. What do you guys think?

Thanks again for all your help.

Old 04-03-2013, 10:25 PM

One more thing I forgot to mention-When I checked the codes again before I cleared them I was getting 3,7,9 slow flashes followed by 5 fast flashes. This doesn't make any sense according to the code list.
Also, I noticed oil on 2 of the plug wires indicating the lower rocker assembly O-rings were leaking. Would this cause a problem as well other than just an oil leak?

Thanks again

Old 04-04-2013, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

Find the source of the exhaust leak. You may have to tighten some bolts to correct the leak. There is a good ericthecarguy video on YouTube on how to do this.

If you could take a video of the CEL flashes and post on YouTube, we may be able to figure out the codes. It sounds like your ECU could be the problem.

Before replacing the ECU, there is an important ground on the drivers side of the upper intake manifold. Disconnect that bolt, clean the eyelet and bolt with sandpapaer, then reconnect. Let us know if the problem returns.

The oil in the spark plug tubes can come from the upper seals in the valve cover (easy repair) or the lower seals (more involved). Ericthecarguy has a video on the LX accord engine as well that can help.