General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'95 Accord LX - disconcerting noises

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 12:54 PM
Default '95 Accord LX - disconcerting noises

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum as well as to cars in general. A few days ago I bought a 95 Accord LX with a V4 and AT that had about 165k miles on it. When I bought it, I knew there were some things that were wrong with it, but my dad and a friend both advised me to purchase it, saying that the problems were fixable. They have ideas already on what's wrong and how to fix it, but I thought it would be good to get a second opinion.

Problems:

1) When the car starts, it often makes a squealing noise. It sounds like a belt problem. The previous owner said that it started doing this this summer when it got hot. I usually only notice it the first time I start the car for the day. After that it doesn't often reoccur. We looked at all the belts that we could see without taking things apart, and they looked to be in very good shape. Additionally, the previous owner thinks that the owner before him had the timing belt replaced at 90k miles. On this issue, we're stumped.

2) If I'm going above 20 or so mph and turn the wheel to the right, I can hear a loud sound (see video). The 'boot' that joins the wheel to the cv joint on the right side has some cracks in it. The previous owner had replaced the left half axle, and we believe that due to the damage on the boot the right side needs to be replaced as well.

3) If I drive the car for more than 4 or 5 miles the lug nuts on both front tires get incredibly hot. We think that is a problem with the brake calipers...however, when we try to get the right wheel off, it won't budge. I've tried all kinds of things to get it off, such as repeatedly raising and lowering the car with the nuts off, attaching straps to the wheel and having three people pull, using a deadblow to hit the tire and driving a couple of feet with the nuts loosened - nothing worked. Our guess is that the heat caused the wheel to meld with the other part (I don't know what it's called...)

So there are the problems in a nutshell. Sorry if I used incorrect terms...I don't really know what I'm talking about.

Anyway, here is a youtube video of me starting the car and driving it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqzQruY_oxU

Old 07-29-2010, 01:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

On startup I hear a belt squeal (not timing belt) most likely the AC. I did notice the AC was off at startup but some of these the clutch will turn with the belt for a few seconds but are not suppose to. You made one right turn and I didn’t hear a noise but I do the brakes squealing without breaking. Most likely that is your heat you feel at the lug nuts. The pads have a device that makes that noise to warn you the pads are worn out. If nothing will break the wheel loose, loosen up the lugs a few threads and drive it… the rim will become unseized.

You may need new front rotors if so there are a few methods of replacing them as they are behind the wheel hub. This is going to be one of the best forums you are going to find and let us know what is going on and will help you out.

Old 07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

On that belt squeal in the beginning i would adjust the tightness of the alternator if it is the larger belt and the power steering pump if its the smaller belt

Old 07-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

If the belt is old, replace it. They get hard & slippery with age, so if you overtighten it you'll get to learn how to relace alternator bearings.

Old 07-29-2010, 05:47 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If the belt is old, replace it. They get hard & slippery with age, so if you overtighten it you'll get to learn how to relace alternator bearings.
hahaha, I learned this a year ago lol. It might actually be your power steering going out, that what happened to mine. My car also has that strange noise when I turn right or for that reason stop. Probably the boots.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:37 PM

Thanks everyone.

Kris, I will look into the brake rotor thing. I just watched some videos about them, and it sounds like that could also be the cause of the noise when I turn right. Also, I should mention that in the video if you pay close attention, whenever I turn the wheel even slightly to the right there is definitely a strange noise...it's kinda hard to hear though.

So the guesses on the squeal are that it is either the A/C belt, the alternator belt or the power steering pump belt?

Sorry if I misunderstood any of what you guys said...I'm a total noob with this stuff

Old 07-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If the belts are really old than it would be a good investment putting all new belts on but they should have been changed with the timing belt but that doesn’t mean they were. On my 1995 I had that same noise on startup just once a day also and it started after replacing the timing belt, but it was the car sitting(a year) that caused the problem. Try starting it with the AC engage and if the noise lingers more you have you component. You don’t want to tighten the AC belt too much either, then you are putting strain on the crank bearings. As far as getting the wheels broke loose you can tell when that has happened if you go the loosening the lugs and drive route by looking at the rust where the rim is centered over the hub. The rust will crack, but you have to have the hub caps off or the center caps off if you have mag wheels to see that. I have gotten most broke loose hitting the tire from the inside with a sledge. Don’t hit the rim. I had to do the lug nut trick on my old Bronco as they just were not going to break loose.
I will listen to the Video and try to hear your other noise.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:22 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I just watched your video does the sound seem to back off with acceleration and become louder as you let off gas mine does same thing.....

Old 08-05-2010, 01:03 PM

Kris-
I'm not sure if the other belts were replaced...I'll try to find that out. If they haven't been, I will definitely look into doing that/getting it done. Thankfully I was able to get the wheel off with a rim puller...

yungjody-
I don't think it does that.

I recently took it to a mechanic and they thought that I needed a new left drive axle and wheel bearing...that doesn't make much sense to me, as the left cv joint was just recently replaced, and the boot on the right is the one that is worn. Anybody know why they would say the left?

Also, I replaced one of the break calipers, and that got rid of the heat on the side I replaced it on...so I think that problem is solved.

Thanks everyone!

EDIT: Also, does the 95 honda accord have sealed or unsealed wheel bearings? I think I could check, but it would be a lot easier if someone just knew...

Last edited by bcruesch; 08-05-2010 at 02:14 PM.
Old 08-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Right-Left question. My part selling days come into play, sorry. Left=Drivers side. Right=Passenger side. Of course it is alway best to use them together to make sure everyone is one the same page. Too many times someone asks for the left side mount or whatever when they really needed the Right/Pass side...but of course it was all the dumb person behind the counter that got it wrong. Left Hand Drive????
The bearing is a sealed "hub" bearing...some may suggest doing a ROH (rotor over hub) conversion. Up to you.

Quick Reply: '95 Accord LX - disconcerting noises