General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Accord overheating

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 08:35 PM
Default 95 Accord overheating

My 95 Accord wagon with the F22B has been overheating for a while now. As long as I am moving it is fine. After driving a while and coming to a stop, it slowly heats up and continues to the red. Haven't let it get that high yet. I have replaced both fans and the water pump. Like I said, as soon as I begin moving the temp drops almost instantly. I'm going to try the thermostat next. Does anybody have any other suggestions? THanks

Old 09-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Default just an idea

may do nothing, may help check the bleeder valve above the thermostat, I have heard of air being trapped in there and causing issues usually looks like a bolt with a nipple in the center just loosen it and anti freeze should come out if you hear air that may have been your problem, FYI you are getting info from a guy who only works on his own cars, Im no mechanic. good luck.
Jaymo

Old 09-11-2009, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

You replaced both fans, but you don't say whether they RUN when the engine begins overheating? I'll assume they don't...

On this picture, #16 is a fan switch on the thermostat housing. Unplug it and jumper the wire with a paperclip. Turn the key ON & tell us if that makes the fan run.

If that makes the fans run (both of them), then the fans, relays, wiring is all OK. That leaves a bad switch, so replace it.

If that doesn't make the fans run, come on back here.

Removing air from the cooling system is a good idea too.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:47 AM

How exactly do you jumper the wire with a paperclip?

Old 09-11-2009, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator

Unplug the wire from the #16 fan switch. Bend a paperclip into a "U" shape & stick it into the wiring-harness plug. You may have to find a thin-ish paperclip, so it slides into the actual terminal holes in that plug. What you're doing is making an electrical connection between those 2 wires, same as the #16 switch is SUPPOSED to do when the engine gets too hot.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:46 PM

OK I jumpered the wire and nothing happenned. What should I try next.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Lets all get on the same page ;
http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/3...lfanschjz5.jpg
You can open the link and find and check the fuses, then notice that if you ground the green wire at the thermo switch,{key on} it will complete the path and the relay in the underhood fusebox will energize you should hear it CLICK.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:54 AM
heardaneaglecry
Unregistered

I can speak to the thermostat. Run the vehicle for a bit. Grab the radiator hose. If the hose is hot then your thermostat is not the problem. It means that it is open if the hose is hot. I know with my Honda I have some decay in the engine somewhere that results in rust in the antifreeze. I used Muriatic acid, and flushed the system, but I need to do it again as I still have the problem, and the rust in the antifreeze. I mention it in case you have a similar problem. The thermostat is a good place to start looking. Also the bleed valve as somebody else mentioned is a goo d thing to keep in mind. When I flush my vehicle again I am going to bleed the heck out of it with that valve.

Old 09-13-2009, 07:06 PM

I jumpered the right switch (#16) this time and both fans came on. So I replaced the switch itself but the car is still over heating and the radiator fan does not come on when it gets hot. Both fans come on when the AC is on though and as soon as I turn the car off when it gets hot, the radiator fan comes on for a few seconds. Any idea where to go from here?

Old 09-14-2009, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

If the thermostat doesn't open wide enough, or if the radiator is plugged up with crud, then there will be TOO LITTLE flow through the radiator. What little coolant goes through the radiator, comes back fairly cold. Then the fan switch doesn't get very hot, but it's not enough FLOW to cool the engine.

Feel BOTH radiator hoses after it warms up. If the upper hose is HOT but the lower hose is kinda cool, then there's not enough flow. Then it's up to you to figure out between a bad thermostat vs. a plugged radiator.

Let us know what you see with the hot/cold hoses.

Quick Reply: 95 Accord overheating