General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 EX stalling/not starting need experts - very long post

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2006, 04:58 PM
portdave
Unregistered
Default 95 EX stalling/not starting need experts - very long post

95 Honda Accord EX VTEC 2.2 80k miles. I have a Nissan and a few other cars. Had an 84 prelude for about 12 years. This is my Dad’s car so I am trying to help as much as I can. Car has never given them any problems up till this point.
Here goes the saga:
A few months ago car would not start at times. Taken to local mechanic. He got stuck with it and had to have it towed to shop. They tried the main relay and a distributor. Still wouldn’t start so they pulled those parts out. They couldn’t figure it out and then they had it towed to Honda dealership. Once there the car started and was fine for the 3 days they had it. Even drove it for 80 miles with computer hooked up. Couldn’t figure it out.

Dad gets car back and it starts acting up again. Doesn’t leave him stranded but hard starting. Takes it to another mechanic and he replaced the ignition coil and the igniter because he said he tested them and they were out of spec.

He thought he took care of the problem except for maybe every once in awhile. He thought the keyless entry was causing a problem. I put this unit in for my Dad about 3 years ago and it has been fine. It is not hooked into the starter and the car has no stock alarm. It is only for the locks and it lights the dome lights when unlocked.

I got the car from my Dad after this (he lives about 2 hours away) when they were going out of town. I planned on looking at the keyless system, replacing the muffler and looking into this problem further.

I let the car sit for a few days and then would try and start it every other day. At times it took a few seconds for it to start. I then got the muffler and pipe I ordered and was heading over to a friends house to put it on (can’t work on other cars at my house anymore due to neighborhood restrictions) when the car stalled on me about 3 miles from my house. I could not get it restarted. I even disconnect the keyless and it still wouldn’t start. I finally opened the fuel port on the fuel rail and hardly any came out. I also had my son turn it over while open and no fuel. I also pulled a spark plug and held it against the block and it was sparking fine.

Finally got it started after letting it sit for a few hours. Went to the part store and got a new main relay. Just wanted to make sure. Went to my friend’s house and put the muffler on and drove home.

2 days later went to help another friend after work (with their VW bug not starting) and I got stuck with it after pulling out of the driveway. Pushed it back in and put a test light on the fuel pump harness in the trunk and I got no power on the wire all the way to the left. This is the one the manual said to test. The other 2 were faint power. I tested this same wire when it was running again the next day and I got full power. I figured this ruled out the fuel pump since it runs when it gets power.

I had my friend who has been a mechanic for 30 years look at it with me and we both heard some static type noise from under the dash when trying to turn the key multiple times to energize the relay and get the fuel pump working. We looked at the ignition switch and saw some burnt spots on there. I replaced the whole assembly with a new key. Car seemed to start better but at times it seemed to be losing some of the fuel pressure when sitting for a little while. I would have to turn the key again to build up the fuel pressure and then it would start. I drove it around the block and it seemed better.

Last Saturday I was on my way to my friend’s shop to replace the fuel filter. Needed to be done and I wanted to rule out the pressure drop. I only got about 2 miles down the road and it stalled. We went through the same tests and no power to pump harness. We even test the main relay harness. Then the book called for testing the ECU but you need the special connector so…

I waited till nighttime and the car started and I drove it home. It would not restart when I got home and the main relay felt a little hot to me. For kicks I tried putting the old relay back in and it started up.

I have ordered a used computer but at this point I just want to rule it out. Seems like some electrical wiring problem or something.

I've read this site a lot and researched before posting. Anyone have any ideas. Sorry this is so long. Thanks

David

Old 10-03-2006, 11:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: 95 EX stalling/not starting need experts - very long post

WOW my man ,, i got to come up for air ...

when car fails to start
chk to see if you get power and groud to fuel pump if you do ,,,,and not getting any fuel... could be a bad fuel pump.. fuel filter ,

hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see what you get,, you should have at least 30-35 psi ..

Old 10-03-2006, 11:43 PM
portdave
Unregistered

Yeah I know it was a really long post. Sorry.

When the car fails to start I get no power on the black and yellow wire at the fuel pump harness and I also do not hear the click on the main relay.

When the system works right I get about 38 psi. Thanks for reading.

Old 10-04-2006, 04:11 AM

ORIGINAL: portdave

Yeah I know it was a really long post. Sorry.

When the car fails to start I get no power on the black and yellow wire at the fuel pump harness and I also do not hear the click on the main relay.

When the system works right I get about 38 psi. Thanks for reading.

with key on chk to see if you get power at the main relay red/white wire.. if you do chk to see if you get power at blk/yeallow.. if you DO NOT try a different relay '
if you get power at blk/yell at relay but not at pump,, there is an open from relay to pump

if you DO NOT get power at red/white at main relay,, first chk the # 2 fuse ( fuel pump ) 15 amp in the underdash fuse box

if fuse is ok and no power at red/white at main relay there might be an open in the red/white wire from fuse to main relay

chk these and let us know

Old 10-04-2006, 09:19 AM
portdave
Unregistered

I will check again when I get home but when it failed on Saturday we tested all the connections at the wire harness for the main fuel relay and all seven tested according to what the manual said they should be. The next step would have been the computer but it said we needed the test connector. I will look at the fuse as well. I really appreciate your time.

Old 10-09-2006, 11:33 PM
portdave
Unregistered

I tested the wires and they are okay. Fuse is okay too.

I will put a used ECU in next. Will let you know.

Old 10-10-2006, 03:26 AM

I bet you got a loose connection or cracked wire somewhere...did you test for power coming to relay from battery?

Old 10-10-2006, 05:03 PM
portdave
Unregistered

I tested the red/white wire at the main fuel relay harness and it has power. Is there somewhere else?

I will be testing the ECU next with a spare one as soon as I get time. Thanks for the thoughts.

Old 10-10-2006, 06:02 PM

When you are not getting power to the wire at the fuel pump then test that wire at the main relay, if you get power at the main relay then that wire is grounding out or something when the car isn't starting... I'm wondering about the wiring from the main relay back to the fuel pump.... sounds like one of those wires has a problem....

Old 10-10-2006, 10:44 PM
portdave
Unregistered

Well I just changed the ECU out and the car started up fine. I let it idle in the driveway for an hour and it was fine. Took it down the block and back still okay. Shut it off multiple times and it was fine. Still not sure if the problem is fixed or not...

Also I felt the main fuel relay and it feels pretty warm to me. I can hold it in my hand. It is not burning me but...I noticed this once before when I got the car home from being stuck a few miles away last week. Can anyone else check there relay and let me know how warm it is after running for a little while.

TIA Heres hoping...

Quick Reply: 95 EX stalling/not starting need experts - very long post