General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

95 Honda Accord Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:25 PM
Default 95 Honda Accord Please Help

Hello, I have a 1995 Honda Accord that I bought 8 months ago as my first car ever! It has 280k miles but still runs good. I bought the car for 1000$ and dont regret it. It has not left me stranded but been having some minor problems with it so if you can please help ;D.

Here is what I've done to it so far; replaced the starter, all of the cooling hoses, radiator, timing belt, water pump, break hose, breaks, rotors, head cover gaskets, both fans, A/C hose and the thermostat. I've done this myself by researching and watching videos.

First: When cold starting the car if it has been sitting overnight it wont start unless you crank it a few times. After that it starts with no problem. After I switch from parking to d4 it usually gives a klunk noise and it feels as if the engine jumps a bit.

Second: While idling the whole car vibrates even on Parking. Its sometimes a little and sometimes allot. There are times when you don't feel it at all! It vibrates a bit more when you steer and a whole lot when you turn the A/C on. The steering wheel also feels a bit hard when going under 6 mph.

Third: When breaking from 60+ mph the steering wheel vibrates allot.

Fourth: It appears my car is consuming oil whenever I rev it up above 4500 RPM. I've put a carton underneath my car to see if it leaks but no leaks so far.

Fifth: It appears to be running a little hotter than normal.

Sixth: Is a clunking noise normal with these type of cars? My friends car makes the same noise but not as much as mine. And I only use 91 octane chevron techron fuel.

I love this car and I want to fix it. I love cars and enjoy getting greasy and dirty. I plan on repainting it and restoring the body but all in due time.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

welcome to world of cars
Originally Posted by Iggy1008
Third: When breaking from 60+ mph the steering wheel vibrates allot.

Fourth: It appears my car is consuming oil whenever I rev it up above 4500 RPM...
Third: (heat) warped front brake rotors, common most cars at some point. To fix you remove, turn the brake rotors on a lathe
to take out the warping. can only be done so many times (2X ?) and then the metal gets too thin and you need new rotors.
Brake shops do rotor turning all the time ($ maker). In my view, if you can tolerate it, no harm done.

Fourth: follow your car around to see if you see the blue smoke; seldom run it over 4500 rpm, you have a high mileage engine. That's the old in me talking...

Old 03-01-2012, 01:20 AM

Rotors were replaced 5 months ago though and no blue smoke

Old 03-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you are wasting your money with the 91 octane gas, no reason to run that at all.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

The "clunk" in your "first" item sounds like a loose engine mount. Same as your "sixth" item or is that a different clunk?

Old 03-01-2012, 08:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Is your timing and idle correct? I also agree, broken motor mount.

Also, how did you isolate the oil burning at 4500?

Are you losing any coolant due to the over heating? How hot is it actually getting?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:19 AM

First: When cold starting the car if it has been sitting overnight it wont start unless you crank it a few times. After that it starts with no problem.

Second: While idling the whole car vibrates even on Parking. Its sometimes a little and sometimes allot.

First and Second sounds like when you did the timing belt you may be off a tooth which would make you slightly out of time. You should check that out. I would tell you how but I dont know. I did the job and dont have this issue. The car, luckily, kicks off first time.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Just a side note on the timing, when I replaced my belt, I was off two teeth, and the car fired right up. Had no power on acceleration but started with no problem. Rolled it back the two teeth, thought it was all good, but MPG was horrible. Set it with the distributor and no more issues there.

As for when setting the distributor, don't let your 17 year old son plug the light on the wrong plug, makes for an interesting few minutes to figure out how you could be off that much on timing and whether you might need to step the wires back or forth one.....

Old 03-01-2012, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator

Vibration might be the balance-shaft timing??

Old 03-02-2012, 04:20 AM
Newest Of Newbies

True, forgot about that little part of the timing belt change. Little bolt in the rear, line the front up, that would cause the vibration.

Quick Reply: 95 Honda Accord Please Help