General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

'95 Honda Accord problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM
Default '95 Honda Accord problems

I bought it in may 2009 in December of 09 the timing belt broke when driving at highway speed and completely destroyed the engine. between December and now we have saved the money and bought a used engine that has 134,xxx miles on it. the used engine was within several thousand miles of the one engine that was destroyed. a mechanic installed it with a new timing belt, spark plugs, etc. I picked up the car last week, engine runs great, very peppy, no smoke, but we have the following problems.

1. The shift indicator (d4) blinks when the car reaches running temp (existed before engine replacement)

2. cruise control does not work (existed before engine replacement)

3. speedometer frequently drops to 0mph and the car slips of out gear(feels like it, can't accelerate, tac just about red-lines if i try). The speedometer rises back up to a proper reading after a few seconds (approximately 5 seconds at the most), and feels fine. (DID NOT exist before engine replacement, this is the major problem.)

when the car is not doing what I described in problem #3 it feels fine.

I'm no mechanic, but my dad is a competent DIY mechanic. He does not have as much time to post on here as me, so please try to work with me (I have a feeling you will) I apologize in advance

Last edited by Komelon; 07-26-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

You should check for error codes on the engine computer and transmission computer.

All you need is a thin paperclip or a piece of wire to short the service connector. It shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do this. Count the check engine light (CEL) flashes as described in the link I copied below. Repeat the same procedure except count the D4 light flashes for the transmission computer codes.

A long blink=10, short =1, So L SSS = 13.

Specify what the CEL and the D4 blinked.

http://www.dhost.info/accordinfo/howto/cel.html

Old 07-26-2010, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

PA has you on a good path, that is why I concider him one of the "experts". I just want to suggest a few other things. First I know it s crazy but, you've checked the trans fluid level and some models/years are picky about how to do this? Second, is a streach but the shift cable could be out of adjustment, it's a streach because the spedo goes to zero during the issue. Check the codes and the fluid before getting into the cable. Is there any pattern to the "slipping into neutral"?...vss connection?

Last edited by poorman212; 07-26-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:01 PM

the diagnostic connector has been push back into the dash . Looks like i'm going to learn how to take apart a dashboard tomorrow, should be fun, or at least a learning experience. I can't thank you enough for your prompt and helpful responses!

Last edited by Komelon; 07-26-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:05 PM
Super Moderator

That blue connector should be right where the hinge is bolted for the glove-box. At most you would have to remove the glove-box if it is pushed up there.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:09 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by Komelon
the diagnostic connector has been push back into the dash . Looks like i'm going to learn how to take apart a dashboard tomorrow, should be fun, or at least a learning experience. I can't thank you enough for your prompt and helpful response!
WOOOOOO.. hold on there .. what diagnostic connector are you talking about???? on a 95 it is located below the glove box, blue connector, 2 wires '' is this the same 1 that you are talking about .???

Old 07-26-2010, 08:45 PM
Super Moderator

Also, is your 95 a v6?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Also, is your 95 a v6?
No, its a inline 4 with a automatic transmission

Last edited by Komelon; 07-26-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by deserthonda
WOOOOOO.. hold on there .. what diagnostic connector are you talking about???? on a 95 it is located below the glove box, blue connector, 2 wires '' is this the same 1 that you are talking about .???
I'm talking about the diagnostic connector behind the ashtray. I must be completely off base, right?

Old 07-26-2010, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Different years, different locations. It's tempting when someone says it's located wherever, it's tempting to think it's the same for 1977 to 2009.

Quick Reply: '95 Honda Accord problems