General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 accord 2.2l 25th aniv. help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 AM
pos accord
Unregistered
Default 96 accord 2.2l 25th aniv. help!

96 accord-when i let it idle its fine but once i drive it will run fine but if i peak the rpm and try to get on it ,the car will bog down and die and then i have to wait like 15min till it will strt back up. the EGR code was on for the longest time and now its off when this started happening.and my cluster dimmer lights dont work and my speedo dont work but all others guges r fine.
replaced-new plugs,wires,cap,rotor

any suggestions please

Old 12-29-2008, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: 96 accord 2.2l 25th aniv. help!

Stop by an autozone and have them read the codes to check that no new ones have popped up (remove ashtray and the connector is back there).

You can also short the service connector and count the check engine light flashes (ECU) and the D4 flashes (TCU). There is a link in the DIY section called ACC 5th gen.... that has a dhost link that gives a procedure to retrieve CEL codes.

You should try to verify that the no start problem is due to lack of spark or lack of fuel. A timing light is good to test for spark at the cylinders.

Fuel is trickier to verify, but try to listen for the fuel pump to turn on when you turn the key to the II position. It happens when you hear the clicks from under the dash, and is a faint buzzing or whirlling sound that comes from the back seat.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

IMO, get the EGR port checked and have the fuel pump and fuel pressure regulator tested.

Jim, the car can idle and run. Just has an issue with redline reving.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:06 PM
pos accord
Unregistered

no codes pop up on the scanner, i can hear the fuel pump turn on and preload. but it still has a problem with high rev. i can get a used egrv for about $25, so should i just go ahead and replace that

Old 12-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

The issue isn't the valve. The port needs to be cleaned from what I've read. Look in the DIY section for more info.

Before you buy anything, you should test and rule out anything that you can. If the fuel components are the problem, EGR work won-t help.