General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord 4 cyl vtec won't run

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 07:03 AM
Default 96 Accord 4 cyl vtec won't run

Ran fine when purchased. Sat in garage for 1 year while rebuilding front end, and other minor repairs, with battery removed. Reinstalled battery and tried to start. Would try to run then die. Replaced fuel filter, fuel regulator, plugs, wires, and distributor assembly. Main fuel pump relay tested good. Fuel injectors tested good using an ohm meter. Talked with Honda techs and was assured fuel pump was culprit. Replaced fuel pump. Turn key enough to have the dash lights on and hear the fuel pump run. Turn key to full start and engine turns but will not run. Checked plugs and they appear to be firing. Tested fuel pressure before replacing pump and pressure was greater then spec and would not hold pressure. (again, new regulator installed)

Looking for more advice. Thanks

Old 11-01-2013, 07:33 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Fuel injectors could be stuck closed due to long idle period. Suggest trying to start w/ 5-10 second dose of throttle body cleaner or starter fluid into air intake.

If it starts briefly, fuel supply is problem.

If it still doesn't start spark is too weak, or mis-timed to allow engine to start.

good luck

Old 11-01-2013, 09:54 AM

I tried the starter fluid originally and it did try to run until the fluid was burned. I then replaced the fuel pump. I will have to look closer at the fuel injectors. The number one cylinder plug was covered in carbon with the number two plug having less carbon. The third and forth plug had the least amount of carbon and were some what wet.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:26 AM

Also possible that fuel is too stable to ignite due to age. Suggest draining and replacing fuel.

good luck

Old 11-01-2013, 11:38 AM

I replaced the fuel pump last week. There is new gas in the tank due to having to drop the tank. Is it possible for the ECM to go bad having the power removed for that long?

Old 11-01-2013, 03:28 PM

Fuel pressure greater than spec (? by how much). Fuel pressure regulator should bypass fluid to hold very steady fuel pressure w/i spec. Too much fuel pressure might cause flooding.

Is Check Engine Light Off? Have you checked for any pending codes?

Since it started on starter fluid, I would look to injectors or fuel pressure.

good luck

Old 11-01-2013, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

One side of the injectors should have 12v.....ground is applied by the ecu. Do you have 12v at the injectors?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:17 AM
Administrator

Hi New Member, I moved you to this helpful thread..Welcome

Old 11-03-2013, 09:30 PM

Pulled the injectors and applied 12 volts to each and listened for the relays to toggle, which they did. The fuel pressure gauge was connected to the fuel line before the fuel rail and found an air lock. Removed air and the pressure reached 50psi. Reconnected the fuel line to the fuel rail. The car tried to run but ran rough at less then 1 on the tach. When the tach tried to reach 2 the car died. The gas peddle needed to be pressed to get the car to run for that short period. Inspected and cleaned all ground connections. There was a fault code of P1361 and P1861. Erased fault codes and have not been able to repeat fault.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see a p1861 code in the accord shop manual.

There is an important ground (G101) for the engine computer that is on the driver's side of the upper intake manifold. Unbolt that ground, clean bolt/eyelet with wire brush/sandpaper and reattach. See pic for G101 location.

The injector resistor box is near the driver's side of the engine bay near the firewall. It has a metal cover that is wide cooling fins. There is an electrical connector that should have five (I think) red/blk wires going into it. There is another component nearby that uses the same electrical connector that you could easily switch.

Attached Thumbnails 96 Accord 4 cyl vtec won't run-pahonda-5547-albums-pics-2243-picture-g101-6236.jpg  

Quick Reply: 96 Accord 4 cyl vtec won't run