General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord ex PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 10:11 AM
Default 96 accord ex PLEASE HELP

i just purchased a 96 accord with 180000m and a manual trans used from a private owner. the car started right up when i bought it but after 1 day of driving it the car broke down on the highway. when it happened, the rpm gauge went crazy and it would stall or idle real low.(to the point of bucking down the road) so i left the car there and came back later with my mechanic and it started right up.drove it home and went to go to work the next day and it did it again. if anyone can help me with this problem it would be greatly appreciated. thanks ry

Old 11-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like an issue in the Ign system. When it does this, can you test for spark or lack of? From there further tests can be done to find out exaclty which part in the system is failing.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:49 AM

i checked for spark and its getting it. i replaced the fuel filter and checked for fuel pressure and it has pressure

Last edited by rydwg390; 11-25-2011 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Test will only help when no-start condition is present. Is car permanently no-start now?

Do you have a timing light? If yes, check for spark by hooking to a spark plug lead and turning engine over. No flash means no spark.

good luck

Old 11-25-2011, 11:43 AM

as of now the car is in no start condition. and i did the spark test and it gets spark. im currently checkin the soder on the fuel pump relay. if that doesnt work any suggestions??? maybe the distributor?

Old 11-25-2011, 11:48 AM

Rarely, but has happened, spark w/ an open-air test (spark plug grounded on engine), spark will be seen but engine will not start. That's why I suggested the timing light test. Under engine compression spark is more difficult to jump gap and may show weak spark.

Suggest a spark or fuel test by spraying starter fluid or throttle body cleaner into intake (3-5 sec charge) and attempting to start. If engine starts briefly, spark is OK and fuel delivery is not occurring.

good luck

Old 11-25-2011, 12:03 PM

now the car will start and idle around 500 rpm but seems to be misfiring. the spark plugs are new so what else could maike it misfire? i grounded the plugs to the block and all 4 sparked.

Old 11-25-2011, 03:02 PM

Misfiring suggests something in spark path, rotor, distributor cap, or wires. Try spraying engine w/ mist of water at night and look for sparks jumping. Any indications of arcing means damaged parts.

Had distributor been removed recently?

good luck

Old 11-25-2011, 04:43 PM

yes i just replaced the cap and rotor and the fuel pump relay and it is still acting up. what really sucks is that the car will run fine for a short time and then breaks down again. if it stayed off then i could try different things until the problem is fixed. but every few hours it will break down while driving so it leaves me stranded. ill try the mist and see if theres any arcs but my mechanic seems to think its the fuel pump

Old 11-25-2011, 04:55 PM

Fuel pumps do fail, but main fuel relay (MFR) is more likely.

When no-start occurs, turn keyswitch to ON, listen carefully for clicks (MFR) under driver's side dash and fuel pump to run in tank (soft buzz) for 2-3 secs and then cut off. If you hear the clicks and buzz, the MFR and fuel pump are working.

I had a fuel pump failure on my 94Ex and found that "hammering" w/ repeated on/off/on of the keyswitch would eventually get the pump to come on. Whenever this occured engine would start.

good luck

Quick Reply: 96 accord ex PLEASE HELP