General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 Accord intermittent cranking issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 08:55 AM
Default 96 Accord intermittent cranking issue

This is my daughter's car, so I don't know all the specifics, but I do know I can't have her driving a car that won't start. Usually it cranks like a champ, sometimes not. Replaced starter (was tested, bad) 3 months ago, everything was fine until a month ago when battery started failing and replaced. Now in just the last week, some of the time when key is turned, nothing. Like the starter isn't even wired. No clicking, headlights don't dim, radio doesn't security lock out, all dash warning lights come on. Hook up jumper cables and it cranks immediately, like there was never a problem. If i keep cranking/turning off/restarting, after 6-8 times it won't crank anymore unless I jump it or let it sit 15-30 minutes. Battery was tested and is holding a full charge. Battery and starter connections are tight. Condition happens whether engine is cold or hot. Electric gremlins are definitely not my specialty. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2011, 09:38 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Have you tested the alternator? Im not a genius with cars but Im having problems with my 96 starting right now and after testing the starter and it coming back fine im looking at the alternator..

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 AM

I don't think battery would be at full charge if alternator was the problem.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

When the starter is not working, check that you are getting 12V to the small wire on the starter when the key is in the start position. You will need an assistant to do this test.

Old 11-28-2011, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
When the starter is not working, check that you are getting 12V to the small wire on the starter when the key is in the start position. You will need an assistant to do this test.
Can i do this with a test light, or do I need to verify it is 12v with a meter?

Old 11-28-2011, 01:15 PM

Okay, it took forever to get it to 'not' crank. Finally got it to 'not' crank after about 40 tries. Unplugged small wire to starter and test light shows it is getting power in the 'no crank' mode. Starter is 3 months old, from Advance A.P. I did notice this. When cold and choke is on, it cranks after just a slight bump of starter. After choke is off, it takes a little more starter to crank it. Sometimes after constant restarting, it will die immediately after starting, like it still needs choke, and doesn't restart easily. Turns over, just won't start. When I run the starter more than just a bump, for 3-4 times, that seems to be when the 'no crank' thing starts.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:37 PM
Super Moderator

This sounds like a problem with the starter. Sometimes a remanufactured starter can fail. If it has a warranty, I would get another one.

Old 11-28-2011, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
This sounds like a problem with the starter. Sometimes a remanufactured starter can fail. If it has a warranty, I would get another one.
It was a reman. starter. Advance gave me another one on my word that it was getting power but sometimes not working. R/R is a pain. That rear bolt, jeez. Everything seems fine for now. Thanks, PA, for pointing me in the right direction.