General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

96 accord intermittent starting.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 09:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default 96 accord intermittent starting.

Okay so back in January I replaced the spark plugs, wires, dizzy, and valve cover gasket. The car was leaking oil which made the plugs go bad and eventually fouled out the dizzy. after getting that fixed the car ran great.....but now im back...

This time the car is having intermittent starting issues. Its not the same symptoms as last time. Heres how it will go.

Car started fine the other morning. Drove to the store was in there 10 minutes came out and the car started perfect. came home went to leave again about 30 minutes later car started again. stopped at the gas station not even 2 miles down the road went to start it and nothing. The car would crank but not turn over. the attendant pused the car away from the pump for me (im 7 monts pregnant so im not gonna push it myself) I let the car sit periodiaclly trying to start it after about 10 minutes it started. I drove it for about 20 minutes, turned it off did want i needed to do at my destination came back out and the car wouldnt start again. I had to let it sit another 10-15 minutes before it started up. after i got home i let the car sit a few hours before i had to leave again and had no problems with it starting till about 9:00 that night. Had to go to walmart, car started perfect leaving home, and leaving walmart. but went to the gas station again to get pop and didnt have the car off but for maybe 3 minutes and this time it didnt start took longer than normal about 20 minutes.

When im driving the car it runs fine. Does have a tiny oil leak but I do check the oil every day and add a little bit when it needs it i wont have the money to take it to a shop til mid april, and thats why im on here.

the car is a 1996 Accord
Automatic
4cyl
Non VTEC
174,000 miles

Im half tempted to sell the car so i can put a downpayment on a decent one, with soon to be 2 kids i need a reliable one.
i have a feeling its something stupid and simple but not having the knowledge about cars and beiong pregnant i know that I will have to end up taking it to a shop...which if i can avoid id love it haha

I will try to get a video next time she decides not to start.

Old 03-31-2012, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

If you are near a parts store, have them scan for codes.

When you get into the car, turn the key to the II position, but do not try to start the car. When the check engine light turns on for about two seconds to do the bulb check, the fuel pump should turn on for about two seconds too. It is a faint buzzing/whirling sound that comes from the back seat, so turn off the radio, blower, etc... and listen carefully.

Let us know is that sound is present or not present when the car does not start. Get in the habit of doing this every time your car will not start.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I drove the car a few times today and it started up fine, so i didnt get to test for the noise. if it does it tomorrow I will make another update.

also didnt get a chance to take it to a parts store. will do it on my way home tomorrow..

Old 04-02-2012, 09:53 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You do not need to start the car to listen for the noise.

What PAHonda is trying to figure out is if you are having problems with your main relay or if you have some other problems.

Based on the description of your problem I suspect the Main Relay as it is a very common problem on our cars.

It would be a shame if you traded in you car and took on the extra expense of a car payment when you could have fixed your car with a very easy to replace $50 part.

What you should do is get used to putting the key in position II and listen for the whirl.
Every time you hear the whirl the car should start but that one time you do not hear the whirl the car won't start.

If this is what is happening then the fix is super easy, a new main relay.

If something else is happening then the problem may be more difficult to fix.

Let us know how you progress and good luck to you.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:19 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I tested for the noise a few times today and I never could hear a whirring noise but the car started every time....How ever when i put the key into II position and the dash lights did their test there is a loud click when they go off, I dont know if this is a noise that accompanies the whirring noise.

From my research, I had a feeling that it might be the main relay or a relay of some sort.

sould I go ahed and replace it and see what happens. The car does have alot of miles 275,000 and i think i read somewhere that they usually fail after alot of miles....

Old 04-03-2012, 01:31 PM
Super Moderator

You may want to find an assistant. Have them turn the key to the II position while you listed where you fill up the gas tank with the cap removed. Then you will know what the fuel pump sounds like.

I am not a fan of replacing parts without testing first.

Old 04-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

it sounds like a buzzing noise right? I had a fuel pump go bad in my blazer a while back and i remember I could hear a buzzing sound loud as hell when i would turn the key to the II position on it.

i will get a second set of hands to help me listen for it.

Old 04-03-2012, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

THe normal noise for a fuel pump is a faint buzzing/whirling noise.